Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Climate Change/Water Issues....

Mike:

For the third time: "If you want reliable information, go to the source........Think carefully before passing on information that you can't trace back to roots in technical literature."

When a technical person answers a question by giving a reference, it does not mean "This is the answer and here is my proof." What they are saying is: "you should go read this article because it discusses the question you are raising and you will either find an answer there or find a set of references you can chase down for more detail." Partially this is a question of conservation of time and space -- not repeating what is elsewhere. Partially it is just how people work. Thus the importance of references and references to references etc. etc.

So the point is not that the peer-review literature is a final authority. The point is to be able to construct an assessment of a line of argument, and a deeper understanding of the subject, by tracing to its technical roots. That means the underlying models, equations, data, graphs, discussion and interpretation of all these, whatever is appropriate. I am proposing you go through the same exercise any technical professional would engage in if attempting to assess the credibility of an author or an argument. I apologize if this was not clear up front. But if you are not able or willing to do that --- and let's be honest, most people aren't, even if you are -- at least use secondary sources whose credibility could, in theory, be checked through that process, by someone else. And if you are not an expert, reference to multiple sources is pretty important to get a balanced and complete perspective.

The reason to use the peer-review literature as a baseline reference is that only there can scientific arguments be assessed at such a root level, at the level of experiment, methodology, analysis, and raw data, for correctness. Sources like WUWT, RealClimate, even AR4, are secondary sources. AR4, and, to some extent, RealClimate, can be fairly directly traced back to peer-review sources. Most web sources cannot. You're welcome to provide counter-examples.

Outside the archival peer reviewed literature, it is not really possible to even say what the complete line of thought, as supported by data, even *is*. (See 2,3,4,6 below.)

Statements about a set of stolen emails, the motivations of the people who wrote them, or what might be read into private confersations of a very small subset of the scientific community, particularly taken from their original context, and, in some cases, altered to change the original meaning, don't have any technical content that can be assessed one way or the other. Such ad-hominem statements are irrelevant to any serious inquiry.

Off the top of my head, here are some reasons why the (archival) peer-review literature needs to be the reference point for discussion.

1. The paper has passed some minimal level of scrutiny with respect to novelty of results and technical quality.

Emphasis on the word "minimal."

This is the most mis-understood aspect of the process and the one that laypeople usually set up straw-man arguments about when they want to duck a scientific discussion.

In theory, the reviewers are not going to let a paper through that contains errors, that doesn't measure up in areas 4,5,6, below, and that doesn't provide a new contribution to knowledge in the field.

In practice, standards vary widely from journal to journal, and editor to editor, reviewer to reviewer. Some journals are very competitive and have very high standards, to the point of snootiness, and others will let through about anything that isn't rank nonsense. Nevertheless, the chances of a paper that has been through this process has of being credible, are, on average, higher than one that has not. Likewise there is, on average, a distinction in quality between what gets published and what not.

2. Archival means a common, fixed reference point for line of argument.

The argument and summary data is preserved in a common form that can be referenced and dissected by anyone, so we all should, in theory, be discussing the same thing when discussing a specific paper. Reduces goalpost-moving. This puts a burden on the authors to either stand behind a paper, or lose credibility. Not true for a web site.

3. It is tracked and indexed.

We can count who cites the paper, how often it is cited, who else is following up, how they use the paper, and if there are any rebuttals or criticisms. It gives a rough guide for people outside the field to what works (and authors) are influential.

4. Papers are expected to contain a detailed description of data and methodology. This, and #5 below, are important points for this discussion. The point at which one can assess the raw data and methodology, and reproduce the results, is the point at which a reference to the literature ceases to become an argument-from-authority.

5. There is an expectation of reproducibility.

6. There is an expectation of summarizing and citing previous work and base sources.

Base material for which there is not room in the publication at hand to discuss should be easily accessible to the reader. This is needed for assembling the complete line of argument, assessing the current data, and performing and reproduction of results desired.

7. Almost always, papers improve with criticism.

In practice, this is probably the most important function of the peer-review process. See #1.

8. Most review processes are conducted blind (authors do not know reviewer's identities) and sometimes double-blind (reviewers don't know author's identities either). This encourages critical commentary by lessening (not removing) fears of retribution and personal feuds.

9. It is an intrinsically adversarial process. Grants, tenure, promotions, and awards are given on the basis of _relative_ status of publication record -- number of publications, how often they are cited, and other impact factors. This provides every incentive to be as critical as possible of competitors work. The closer the work is related, the more likely a review is going to turn nasty, particularly if it looks like the manuscript authors might publish something related to the reviewer's work before the reviewer can.

10. It provides a crude sorting/ranking mechanism.

Something published in Science or Physical Review Letters has probably undergone much more stringent review and selection criteria, and had wider readership and more aggressive follow-up inquiry, than an article in the East Tunisian Journal of Cybernetics, Plastics, and Turnip Growth Studies.

11. Authors can respond to criticisms in an open and hopefully somewhat impartial forum -- often the same forum in which the criticism appears. Built-in mechanism for arbitration of disputes by uninvolved third parties.

In the real push-and-shove world of technical publication, there is a lot of gray area, and at the end of the day, publishing a given paper, or not, is a judgment call on the part of the responsible editor. There are few if any 'perfect' papers -- novel insight, clear and convincing conclusion, solid and complete data, unambiguous interpretation of data. In fact I can't recall having ever read such a paper! Knowledge is built up bit by bit, building a skyscraper out of grains of sand.

At some point, you are correct, an 'argument from authority' takes place. There is no practical alternative. We can't chase every reference and reproduce every experiment. Nobody is an expert in every area. Aside from a few places in pure mathematics, everyone -- and I really mean everyone -- has to rely, at some point, on analysis, interpretation, and data gathering by others. There is, however, a critical distinction between blind trust in some expert's random opinion, and a carefully constructed argument that can, and hopefully has, been laid out for extended criticism and discussion by others. There is also a critical distinction between a selective but careful inquiry in primary literature, and ignoring that literature altogether.

As far as climate science being a 'an immature science dominated by a relatively small group of researchers' -- this also can be checked. Recently I pulled the reference list from AR4, Ch.8. 685 references in that chapter alone. You can go count how many unique researchers there are. The first chapters of the climate text I mentioned heavily reference standard texts in classical subjects. Even by the mid-1980s the field was mature enough to warrant wide-scope reviews as in IPCC AR1.

Summarizing:

The peer-review literature is not the "gold standard" for knowledge. It is the repository for raw knowledge and the place where serious scientific conversations take place. If a technical argument is not in that literature, in some form, there is no realistic way of assessing, developing, criticising, explaining, or futhering it. It also happens to be the only system going so there's not really a practical alternative base for discussion.

If you think there are flaws in that literature, the solution is -- write the paper explaining the flaws and submit it for publication. If someone on one of the secondary -- but heavily referenced -- sources I listed initially is mis-stating what is in the literature, then that should be pointed out, they need to be corrected.

Otherwise, what is your point? That we should dispense with all the items 1-11 above, ignore expert analysis and data, and make decisions based on what we read on our favorite web sites?

troutless,

You seem to have great respect for the "peer reviewed papers" dealing with anthropogenic warming and the IPCC's AR4 document which is fine with me.

You can believe what ever you choose to believe but don't tell other folks what they should "believe".

Like it or not, it is a fact that any scientist that does not agree with the "consensus" dogma of anthropogenic warming finds it extremely difficult get "published" in the "correct publications". In other words the science with regard to "Climate Change" or anthropogenic warming is is fairly well corrupted by the $700+ billion dollars that the taxpayers have spent on studying this "crisis"

The IPCC's AR4 is replete with so many "weasel words" that one can only assume that they have little faith in what they are saying! Almost every statement made is qualified by words Like "high confidence" or "very high confidence" (whose confidence are we talking about anyway?) then there is all the "likely", "most likely", "very likely" or "more likely than not" usage... a good "weasel sentence" says "with results simulated by climate models using either natural or both natural and anthropogenic forcings". The problem? No one has a clue as to how forcings whether positive or negative actually work in a system as chaotic as earth's weather and climate. No one knows how cloud feedback works so how can one program that effect into any of the "models" that are being used?

Another good one is "Temperatures are assessed best estimates and likely uncertainty ranges from a hierarchy of models of varying complexity as well as observational constraints." Duh! This doesn't even touch on the fact that the surface temperature measurement system is no longer credible for a whole host of reasons.

I had several pages written to further the argument but I decided not to waste the bandspace having a discussion with some one who argues anonymously.

Mike

Troutless,

I'll second Mike M's comments and add the following: You have described the way that science is supposed to work. It is very obvious to many objective observers that climate science hasn't been working that way for many years. One obvious example is the failure of climate scientists to comply with journal policies that require them to archive data sets and computer code used to adjust data and calculate temperature trends and the failure of journal editor Stephen Schneider to enforce that policy. When Steve McIntyre of Climate Audit served as an expert reviewer on AR4, he asked for data and computer code supporting one of the papers cited. Not only did Schneider not enforce his journal's policy, McIntyre was told that if he kept pushing for the data and code he would be kicked out as a reviewer.

It is also disingenuous to keep trying to dismiss the Climategate emails as "stolen", "out of context" and "ad hominem" attacks. The email liberator did the world a service by revealing the dishonest and unscientific actions of the relatively small group of scientists at the center of the global warming scam. As to web sites: not all web sites are the same, and not every post on each web site is of equal merit, but Steve McIntyre of Climate Audit and his regular contributors have done more real science in the last six or eight years than many mainstream scientists--including thoroughly debunking both the hockey stick and Steig et al. '09 (which splashed a red-stained Antarctica on the cover of Nature due to erroneous math rather than actual measured warming) and co-authoring O'Donnell '10, the published refutation of Steig '09. (Read the saga of the "peer" review of O'Donnell '10 at Climate Audit to get a taste of how climate science operates: Steig served as one of the anonymous reviewers and made multiple rounds of obnoxious comments plainly aimed at steering the paper to be less critical of his work. The drafts, the comments, and the revisions are all available for everyone to review and analyze for themselves.)

I am not a scientist. I am a science literate lawyer. BS detection is one of the tools of my trade. Scientists who claim to have discovered a great danger to civilization but go to great lengths to avoid scrutiny of their work don't impress me.

I will now follow Mike M.'s example and stop arguing with you and won't clog Bill's wonderful board with more on this thread unless someone else asks for some information I can provide.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

The Two Mikes --

You are both making very serious accusations about the integrity of the scientific process in the climate science area. In some cases those accusations have extended to the personal integrity of specific, named people in that community, people who are not on this board to defend themselves. One of you is edging close to condoning criminal activity (did you really mean to do that?). You're right -- it's not an appropriate topic for this board. And never was. But, this started well before I joined in and you should not be surprised to get a response.

Now, I recognize that opinions run strong in this area and few if any information sources accessible to the layperson are of much use in sorting the noise. Most of the statements I have made to date have been either about process, or, my interpretation, as an "objective outsider", albeit one with technical training, of how to engage in a process that will ultimately lead to non-politicized information. The process statements should be non-controversial, or at least would have been a decade ago. You may disagree with my starting sources, but they are as close as possible to the primary science as I have been able to find. Certainly my own opinions in this area have evolved greatly in the past few years.

But since you seem to have strong resistance to following up on any of my suggestions, I have followed up on one of yours, specifically the O'Donnell/Steig incident, since the entire paper and review trail is still out on the web and openly accessible (here: http://www.climateaudit.info/data/odonnell/). What I found was instructive both for what was said as well as what was not.

First, having been in similar situations myself, I understand why the exchange with "Reviewer A", who we now know to be Eric Steig, could be -- what's a polite way to put it? -- vexing for an author. On the other hand, these sorts of exchanges occur all the time and it is the job of the editor to arbitrate and ensure they don't get out of hand, with one reviewer exercising a veto power over publication. That appears to have happened in this particular case as "Reviewer A" was over-ruled by the editor and the paper was ultimately published. It doesn't always happen and authors don't always get fair treatment, in any community I've seen. I'm not naive about the peer-review process. Much of the time it more resembles the effect of locking seventeen ferrets into a small closet during mating season than anything resembling a staid exchange of ideas. Fortunately, early in my career, before I started to understand this, I was lucky enough to have mentors who were able to persuade me from writing letters I might later regret.

And this sort of gets to one of the root problems in this whole big climate debate.

In the Steig/O'Donnell case, someone who has never been through the publication process is going to see a set of nasty exchanges instigated by someone that most people would believe has a vested interest in derailing publication of the paper (and they wouldn't be wrong). What I see is a textbook case of peer-review in action, warts and all. Undoubtably the fact that I have been a journal author, reviewer, and editor affects my perspective. Very different perspectives.

Should you wish to give me the benefit of the doubt that my approach to the subject is not entirely unprofessional, I've written down a fairly extensive analysis of this case, for your analysis, perhaps in a more appropriate, more private venue. It is indeed a good example that I myself found instructive. Similarly, I too have issues with the verbiage in AR4, its opacity and obtuseness, that it would be an interesting exercise to think through.

If you choose not to engage in further dialog, fine. But please consider this a request, from someone who has no professional or financial interest whatsoever in anything related to climate science, to stop sliming the climate folks. At least on this board.

Default follow up

Troutless,

I would be interested to read your thoughts on the Stieg / O'Donnel conflict. You can email me at mikechurchill@hotmail.com.

As to "sliming" the climate "folks," I'm just trying to accurately describe them based on their actions and statements that have been exposed to anyone who reads the leaked emails that should have been produced in response to multiple FOIA requests in 2009 (not "private" emails). I hate hypocrites and liars, especially those who take government grants for their crappy work while they shill for advocates for increased government power, more taxes, and actions that will increase poverty by raising energy costs for everyone.

Steve McIntyre at ClimateAudit.org has done a masterful job of putting the denial of his and others' FOIA requests by the University of East Anglia in 2009 in Context in a series of posts this week. When compared to the emails between Professor Phil Jones, the university official in charge of responding to FOIA requests, and the UEA official to whom the denial would be appealed, the UEA's responses to the various FOIA requests for temperature data and university policies regarding entering into confidentiality agreements are a simply disgusting display of mendacity.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Again I go back to the importance of multiple independent sources.

A balanced reading of the Phil Jones case would also report the multiple inquiries -- some journalists, some academics, some politicians, at least one full-scale new-from-scratch scientific study -- that exonerated Jones with respect to issues of data manipulation, and emphasized the fundamental soundness of his scientific record. And while Jones has received independent and public reprimand in some of his FOIA dealings, let's remember some of the actions for which Jones has been criticized were related to massively duplicative information requests explicitly intended to swamp his research group in paperwork. McIntyre and his acolytes in particular are hardly innocents in this matter.

We could go on like this all day. Is it really useful to try assign credibility by weighing Jone's need for research funding vs. McIntyre's fossil-fuel industry connections? While amusing to witness Anthony Watts tie himself into knots over the Muller/BEST study, when it didn't produce the answer he wanted, it's pretty pointless. These axes have been ground to nothingness, doing nothing so far as I can tell but to entrench the participants into their existing political positions. This is why I am over and over again emphasizing starting from scratch, going back to the basic physics, the basic data, get multiple viewpoints, understand the evolution of the knowledge in the field over time by reading the primary literature, particularly literature written before the politicization of climate science.

At the end of the day, this controversy will be decided by physics -- primarily the physics of radiative transmission and convective transport -- and not what you, I, or anyone else reads into the motivations of the scientists involved or their critics. My basic claim is that, in the long term, it is not in anyone's best interest to deny facts or rely on readings of the science that are highly improbable. That extends to the policy discussion and its implications for taxes, regulations, and energy costs.

For example, for the sake of argument, let's think about the political implications of the consensus science, in a business-as-usual policy scenario. That consensus indicates it is very hard to present a credible physical model that doesn't predict a fairly substantial climate shift, defined by say mean global temperature, in response to the amount of CO2 likely to be dumped in the atmosphere over the coming decades. It is a simple argument: CO2 leads to radiative forcing of a system whose sensitivity is known, through multiple lines of evidence ranging from models to past climate history, not to be low. In this sense the work of Jones and McIntyre and the drone over hockey sticks and such is a small sideshow in the larger picture.

The point is that if this consensus is even close to being correct, we will see a series of large and possibly scary changes over the next ten or twenty or thirty years, the sort of things that tend to lead to public demands for policy measures. Politicians will need to be seen as doing something -- anything. Do you think the left-wing elements in this country will use that opportunity to try to push a political agenda? Of course they will. They are doing that now. If you recall I earlier pointed out some offenders. [That says nothing about the state of the science. The scientific literature is not proved wrong because it can be abused for political end. ]

What I would really ask you to ponder carefully is this: such abuse is particularly easy to engage in with the absence of a commonly-agreed upon, coherent scientific framework in which to reason, and the absence of a credible alternative policy discussion. Right now, politically, the conservatives are in complete denial about the scientific basis, and with a few exceptions like the editorial perspectives of The Economist, the centrists are essentially MIA with respect to policy. That leaves only the left to fill the policy vacuum. That's a very unhealthy situation, in my opinion. The longer there is a lack of a constructive policy debate, the more painful the future choices, and the worse the tradeoff between economic and climate disruptions. If you are concerned about the economic and political implications of the mitigation options on the table now, I assure you the choices will not get better.

There is also much here that could be discussed about uncertainty in the predictions, once past the basis theses. The current consensus admits a lot of uncertainty around the precise degree of climate sensitivity, the rate of change, and manifestations of climate shifts into specific weather patterns. The error bars for even the most well-studied baseline metrics, like mean temperature shift, are quite large, in the 40-50% range. So it is indeed reasonable to believe that a goodly portion of the predictions made e.g. in the IPCC reports will turn out to have significant quantitative error -- my own guess is around 30% of them. Much current research is focused on refining these uncertainties and improving the spatial and temporal resolution of modeling predictions (a reasonable journalistic perspective: http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100120/pdf/463284a.pdf). Studies like the one that started this thread are going to be heavily revised over the next 10-20 years. But -- it seems like we have to repeat it over and over and over again -- uncertainty cuts both ways. Some -- my guess is around 5% -- of those predictions will quite possibly be wrong in ways that catastrophically understate the rate or extent of effects. Any such surprises will be very influential in shifting public opinion, and lead to policy implications that, for the reasons above, I guarantee you will not like. It would be in all our best interests to both cull out concerns that may prove to be non-issues and minimize the number of surprises. However, the current polarized climate is making it very difficult to have any sort of balanced discussion of uncertainty and its resolution. There is more to be gained doing new science than quibbling over the second or third decimal place in well-trodden topics, which is where most of the blogs out there are focused.

ps. You should have the O'Donnell commentary by now.

upon further reflection, I'm deleting my involvement in this discussion.

life is too short....
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.