Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Striped bass...

Default Striped bass...

Hi all,

Thanks for the invitation to post here.

The service I can provide you is information about the 'who, what, where, when, and how' about striped bass (etc), not the 'why' about policy or legal matters.

I've been posting on fishing forums since 2005 and have learned that it is usually not helpful for me to post my opinion, so I don't.

I've also learned that --- whether due to the communication format or intent of the poster --- a lot of seemingly rhetorical questions get asked. Rhetorical questions are great of course, but it's gets messy when I try to deal with those. Thus, I'm going to avoid answering rhetorical questions and I may ask if a question is rhetorical.

Let me start with a 'what' sort of answer to a common 'why' question: If we had lost the litigation brought by the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta, we would likely be in a situation where a federal judge would either order us to stop enforcing certain State fishing regulations or we would have had to treat enforcement of State regulations as a 'project' under the federal ESA.

Take care

Marty Gingras
    BDR-IEP Program Manager
    California Department of Fish and Game
    Bay Delta Region
    4001 North Wilson Way
    Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
    Phone (831) 372-2581
    FAX (209) 946-6355
    email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov
    Last edited by Marty Gingras; 11-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Welcome to our forum Marty.

It will be nice to hear some of your feed back.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default First Question for Marty

Marty,
    Glad to see you on board as well and hopefully we'll stay away from politics and religion.

Here's your first question that seems to come up regularly. Is there an easy way to accurately identify the sex of a striped bass without gutting it?

Most of us know that females tend to be larger when mature but what about immature females? And conversely, I've taken larger stripers (15lbs.) that I would have sworn were females that were spilling milt (obviously male).

Again, welcome to the board,
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thumbs up Hola!!!!

Welcome Marty,.... I'm wondering what the basis for choosing the numbers for bag/possession limits was (e.g. 6 per day/12 in possession and 20 per day/40 in possession) Why not 4 or even 10 per day, etc.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Talking No "Why" Questions

Darian, you're starting right out with a "why".

Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 11-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Cool

Actually - it looks like Darian's asking "What was the basis for choosing the numbers for bag/possession limits was (e.g. 6 per day/12 in possession and 20 per day/40 in possession)" even though he followed it up with 'Why' question of sorts...

I'd be interested in hearing more about what that basis was as well...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Default Well Marty....

I guess my e-mail got to the right folks and the glitch got fixed, .....Welcome to the Board and have fun!
    Mike

Question Why....

In clarification, I asked the why question as it is the follow-up that clarifies the original and doesn't appear to require and answer dealing with legal or policy issues. But, I'll leave it to Marty to decide that one....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Is there an easy way to accurately identify the sex of a striped bass without gutting it?
    Unfortunately no. Except (of course) for spawners during spawning season.

When we tag striped bass for the population study, it's during April and May and we sex them by seeing if they release milt. Those that don't release milt are called females even though they could be spent males. In recent years we sacrificed some fish and found that our method of assigning sex to the sample was 100% correct. Plenty of the big fish we see are males...

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I'm wondering what the basis for choosing the numbers for bag/possession limits was (e.g. 6 per day/12 in possession and 20 per day/40 in possession) Why not 4 or even 10 per day, etc.
    That's a 'why' question, but I'll offer this: The selection of bag limits and size limits was not the result of a quantitative analysis. The proposed size limit is in large part about the size at which striped bass become heavily piscivorous and the relatively great abundance of striped bass that size. The proposed bag (and possession) limits are in large part about enforcement, where higher limits are more likely than smaller limits to result in illegal commercialization --- and illegal commercialization is bad.
    Last edited by Marty Gingras; 11-21-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Hi all,

Our Staff Report should be released next week some time. It's the narrative rationale for our proposal.

For those inclined to do some reading, here is a link to the documents cited:

ftp://ftp.delta.dfg.ca.gov/Adult_Stu...ature%20Cited/

I would post the entire Literature Cited and Other Pertinent Literature sections of the Staff Report, but the post would be too long. I'll make a document of those sections and update this post with a link...

Thanks

Marty Gingras
    BDR-IEP Program Manager
    California Department of Fish and Game
    Bay Delta Region
    4001 North Wilson Way
    Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
    Phone (831) 372-2581
    FAX (209) 946-6355
    email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov