Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swing vs Indicator Nymphing

Ralph Cutter, photographer, writer, and operator of California School of Flyfishing.

It wasn’t too many years ago we had a presidential race. The Green candidate had his style for preserving our natural resources and the Democratic candidate had his style. They spent so much time arguing over style, they both lost to a Republican who is now doing his best to turn steelhead habitat into rows of subsidized cotton.
    The argument regarding the relative merits and faults of steelhead swingers versus bobicaters is ludicrous and picayune. Despite some pretty lame arguments to the contrary, the issue isn’t one of ethics, morality, or resource conservation; it is one of style.
    If we can’t see the forest through the trees and start fighting for the resource as a body rather than squabbling amongst themselves over esoteric fishing techniques, there won’t be any steelhead left to argue over. Maybe we just don’t deserve steelhead; they certainly don’t deserve us.

by Ralph Cutter

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Indicator Fishing or Swinging Flies for Steelhead by Bill Kiene

On our Nor Cal valley rivers in the winter we have cold water, mostly hatchery fish (but not all) and fish that are getting ready to spawn too. We also have salmon spawning. This is a tough time and place to swing flies for Steelhead. Fishing with the indicator/nymph/egg system is the most effective way to fish in this situation. If you try to intercept these migrating fish down river before they get to the spawning areas near the hatcheries you can catch them swinging flies.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

After chasing Steelhead for over 40 years I have become spoiled. I mostly fish in the time periods that are good for swinging flies on a floating line. This is when the water is above 50 degrees. Much of this time is Aug/Sept/Oct on many rivers from Nor Cal all the way to British Columbia. Fishing early and late in the day, especially with the sun off the water is another important part of this type of fishing. Having fresh run wild fish doesn't hurt either.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Fly fishing for Nor Cal Steelhead is best in Sept/Oct/Nov on many rivers. As you go further north the Fall gets there faster so Sept/Oct/Nov in BC can turn cold quickly and you need to go to sink tips but can still swing flies.

My information is not just from my experiences, it is from looking at this a lot and talking to hundreds of people over the years. I talk and fish with many top Steelhead fly fishers and guides so this keeps more centered for the best information I can have to share with friends/customers.

The closest good place and time for swinging flies on a floating line are our Valley Rivers in spring (March/April/May with no flooding) and in the Fall (Sept/Oct/Nov) when the Halfpounder Steelhead (12" to 22") are in the rivers with warmer water temps and bugs hatching.

The closest really high quality place and time is the lower Klamath River in Sept/Oct. The scoop here is to fish the lower river with a jet boat in September. The middle river, Orleans to Happy Camp, can be fished by car and walking but floating with a drift boat guide in October is very nice. November above Happy Camp can be good but you might need to get a little deeper with a sink tip line.

The Trinity River is a sweetheart and a smaller river but its timing is a little later like Sept/Oct/Nov for swinging flies. Try the lower Trinity River in Sept/Oct from the mouth of the South Fork of the Trinity downstream through the Hoopa Reservation. By November many Steelhead have moved up through the system from the hatchery downstream to Big Bar but the river is colder then and extremely crowded with the "indicator commandos". The cold water, crowds, spawning salmon all make swing flies less effective.

In Oregon we have many great rivers like the entire Rogue, the North Umpqua , the entire Deschutes , the Grande Ronde and then it just keeps going north to Washington and then British Columbia.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____.

Over the years I have been very lucky to have fish enough of these good rivers to know the difference. Once you wade in a great river like the Klamath in the Fall and hooked those hot 'Halfpounders' swinging an un-weighted fly on a 6 weight floating line you will be after them for life. The reality is that this fishing is not really that difficult. You just need to be there and be able to cast a little.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I was lucky to have been able to fish the famous Dean River in British Columbia in August for two weeks once with Joe Shirshac and friends. It was about 20 years ago but seems like yesterday. We drove most of the way up there from California and then took a helicopter from Bella Coola in where they dropped us off on one of Joe's favorite remote camping spots (~17 miles) up river away from the other campers.

We spent the first day just making a camp site so we would be comfortable. It was one of the best trips of my lifetime. Sitting around the fire in the evening listening to stories told by the elders of the group was very special.

We fished for the first week with shooting heads, sink tips and floaters but then soon learned that when the water was in good shape we only needed a floating line. We hooked wild summer run Steelhead from about 8 to 16 pounds daily and then a few in the 20 pound plus range. Many where on dry flies. Some even “dead drifted” dry flies. This is considered by most Steelheaders to be the best river in the world.

After a trip like that it is hard to get we excited about indicator fishing for tired hatchery fish in our Valley river in the winter.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Spey / two handed fishing has actually helped get classic Steelheading started again. Graphite materials have made the long (11-16' ) two handed rods lighter and better casting tools. Here in Nor Cal we are lucky to have plenty of larger rivers to fish with the long rods.

In the 1980s, after the big drought of the late 1970s, I was afraid that Steelheading had almost gone away completely. In the mid-1990s it seemed to be coming back with runs on the Trinity, Klamath and Roque getting stronger.

Today we do have some fly fishing guides and instructors who promote classic Steelhead techniques.

Jason Hartwick specializes in two-handed fishing on some of the best Nor Cal Steelhead rivers.

Jeff Putnam teaches single-handed and two-handed classic Steelhead methods in Nor Cal and southern Oregon.

Herb Burton, owner of the Trinity Fly Shop on the Trinity River, is one of those guides who only 'swings' flies for Steelhead.

Confluence Outfitters is another good guide group for classic Steelheading with two-handed rods.

Deschutes Angler on the Deschutes River in Maupin, Oregon teaches and guides classic Steelheading with two-handed rods.

Scott O'Donnell and Mike McCune guide and teach classic Steelheading with two-handed rods in OR and WA year round.

If you pick the right time and right place you too can catch Steelhead while swinging flies on a floating line.

Bill Kiene

email : billkiene@kiene.com

toll free USA open 7 days a week 800 400 0359
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Great posts- thought provoking

Thank you Bill for the great reading!

Default Sheesh BK!

Put a nickel in and get a quarters worth!

Good stuff!

(I still won't rollerblade though!)

Default technique

Thanks, Bill.
    At this rate, you'll soon reach 11,000! LOL.
    Best,
    Larry S

Default Very nice, Bill...

Over my maturation as a steelheader, I eagerly embraced "bobicating" and became fairly accomplished at it on our Northern California rivers...
    As I hooked, landed and saw these magnificent creatures, I thought they deserved to be experienced in a more "sporting" manner.
    My richest moments have occurred when I hooked and less often landed them on the swing- floating line with a long leader, or hucking some junk to tease them out of deep holding lies in winter... most success in B.C. which I continue to regard as the "ultimate" steelhead experience...
    Steelhead remain my favorite species to target and I fish whatever technique works best according to the river, flows and idiosyncrasies that enable me to hold one of these magnificent beauties for a few seconds...

one problem between those that swing and those that indie fish is swing guys usually accuse the indie guys of camping on a run - an indie guy just cant' fish in the same manner as a swing guy who casts out generally quartering downstream then takes 3 to 4 steps down and does the same cast - he is covering the entire water as far as his cast can reach.

An indie guy on the other hand is just covering a single current seam with each cast so to cover the entire width that the swing guy is covering he needs multiple casts - thus it takes alot longer to fish through a run and he gets accused of camping on a run - And I have seen both swing guys and indie guys camp on runs on the N Umpqua.

I swing and will high stick but am not a fan of indicators but no question they are effective - more so when the key holding areas are distinct and less so when you have a wide river with relatively constant conditions where fish can be holding anywhere

Default Do you like The Stones or do you like The Peppers?

Johnny Unitas or Tom Brady?

Dual Quads or Fuel Injection?

Marilyn or Heidi?

Ascot or Clip-on?

Vodka Martini or Appletini? (never mind...)

Jack LaLanne or Jillian What'sherface?

Did I leave anything out? (Except my age.)

Whatever works for you, as long as you are a caretaker of the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Whatever works for you, as long as you are a caretaker of the resource.
    Amen, brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    one problem between those that swing and those that indie fish is swing guys usually accuse the indie guys of camping on a run - an indie guy just cant' fish in the same manner as a swing guy who casts out generally quartering downstream then takes 3 to 4 steps down and does the same cast - he is covering the entire water as far as his cast can reach.

An indie guy on the other hand is just covering a single current seam with each cast so to cover the entire width that the swing guy is covering he needs multiple casts - thus it takes alot longer to fish through a run and he gets accused of camping on a run - And I have seen both swing guys and indie guys camp on runs on the N Umpqua.

I swing and will high stick but am not a fan of indicators but no question they are effective - more so when the key holding areas are distinct and less so when you have a wide river with relatively constant conditions where fish can be holding anywhere

Bad etiquette is bad etiquette. campers are campers no matter what method they are using. I personally fish through runs faster with a bobber than i've ever seen anyone swing a run. i like to cover alot of river miles each outing. many times walking way upstream and fishing my way back to my truck. more often than not i find myself making a single pass through each run trying to keep up with my indicator (basically chasing it downriver). only recasting after hook sets and adjusting depth. swing fishermen strip in line, casts, waits for it to swing, steps downstream 3ish steps and repeats, which is probably about 1 step every 20 seconds (faster in narrow streams and faster water) as opposed to stepping downstream at almost the same speed as the water current... but i guess im not orthodox not even by bobber standards.

the most important aspect of indicator fishing is figuring out what kind of water the fish are in on that particular day. sometimes is a speed, sometimes its a certain depth, and it is usually one of 3 things: the inside seam, the far seam,or in the slow water beyond the far seam. if there are 3 people in your party assign a seam to each member and have at it. from my own observations it is a pretty even split on those three locations during the winter. it seems like there is a correlation between water temperature and water speed. this may be because of changing metabolism of the fish or possibly the fact that cold water holds more DO than warm water. from my personal experience it is nearly impossible to get a decent swing beyond the far seam and sometimes the far seam itself especially with willows and other over hanging obstacles. if you are using a sinktip heavy/dense enough to get down on the far seam you are likely not getting a decent swing on the inside seam either. If you were using a bobber you can in many cases cast well above the obstacle and drift your indicator beneath/through it. some runs lend themselves to a swung fly... you know all those runs that are the same depth and speed all the way across where the fish don't hold on either edge( oh yeah basketball sized rocks help as well). when i find these runs i try to swing them, but usually i just keep moving. cover water, think lines, fish move in lines they do not occupy vast areas of water- they occupy lines/lanes.

the main reason i find myself watching a bobber opposed to swinging is I would rather not carry extra gear 15-20 miles a day so i pick one method, and the method i pick is almost always going to be the method that gives me the best shot at actually catching fish I usually convince somebody (usually my brother) to bring a swing rod (partly so i can swing a run or two partly to sabotage my brother). Im not a fan of walking huge distances in waders especially on warm humid days after the onset of swamp ass. catching steelhead makes it all worth it. getting skunked looking at the pretty scenery for me does very little. Ive spent enough time in the mts to know what they look like.

swinging is a very enjoyable way to fish, but most of the time it is frankly less effective than the dead drift method. to those who look down their noses at indicator fishermen have much different priorities than myself.

to new steelhead fishermen I offer this advice: start with an indicator and after you catch a few fish start playing with swinging flies when the stars align and the conditions lend themselves to a swung fly (water temp over 57ish, overcast/color in the water, low light conditions, aggressive fish etc.). btw this information is pretty much directed at the california coastal rivers and not necessarily anywhere else.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010