Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swing vs Indicator Nymphing

Default Swing vs Indicator Nymphing

What are the conditions when it is good to swing wet fly vs indicator nymphing for Steelhead?

I was reading some of these posts and there is a reference to both and the relative effectiveness of each......

Anyone care to shed some light?

Mike O Guest

Whooo boy! You stepped in it now!

Before the pontificators start, each has its pros and cons, but they are up to the fish...not thre fishers

Default A $00.02 contribution...

Generally speaking(seasons, rivers and available gear all make a difference)...

Swing shallower water, at each end of the day, when less light on the water, tailouts, shadows, heads of runs above and below deeper/holding water, rifflely water, edges of deeper water or fast water, shallower water in rock gardens between holding water, umm...holding water,...

Bobicate deeper, slower water with consistant depth, when fishing mid-day or bright days, when ambient and water temps are colder, when no room to backcast, when fishing from a boat, when no one is looking,...

Once you learn to fish without the bobicator you will catch many more fish, both trout and steelhead. Especially trout. Bobicating is good for when you are learning, but once you learn how to non-bobicate you won't go back. Just use a shorter, heavier leader with maybe a little more weight. You will tend to lose more terminal gear though. Quite often, if you lose the bobber, you will catch fish "on the swing" with the nymph anyway, but the hook-up will just be just a little closer to you than if you threw out 50-80 ft of line. Still just as thrilling.

...but I get skunked often too, so... ,

"when no one is looking,"...

Best line ever.

Last year I fished the same section of the America for halfpounders and tried both patterns. I got fish both ways but nothing beats a hit on the swing. I did get a couple more on a indicator compared to swinging, but that might have just been due to one day fishing better than the other.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Since your question referenced "conditions" and "wet flies" versus "nymphs" here would be my limited experience answer. I would and do fish a swing fly earlier when the water is warmed and the fish are more active and will move to a fly if they are so inclined. As the water gets colder and the fish hold deeper and are less likely to move indicator fishing with a nymph can be more effective. One caveat to that last statement would be you can swing flies on a sinking line with sinking tips but you have to be down at the fishes depth thus the reference to "slow and low". Both methods work and it sometimes just comes down to personnal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    Since your question referenced "conditions" and "wet flies" versus "nymphs" here would be my limited experience answer. I would and do fish a swing fly earlier when the water is warmed and the fish are more active and will move to a fly if they are so inclined. As the water gets colder and the fish hold deeper and are less likely to move indicator fishing with a nymph can be more effective. One caveat to that last statement would be you can swing flies on a sinking line with sinking tips but you have to be down at the fishes depth thus the reference to "slow and low". Both methods work and it sometimes just comes down to personnal preference.
    ^^^this^^^

NCL sums it up nicely. Although fish will grab in cold water, people just tend to lose confidence. A lot depends on the river as well, certain rivers tend to swing even when cold whereas others don't. Both work and can be fun, just be confident in whatever method you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post

when no one is looking,...

",
    Yeah, it's bobicating is a lot like rollerblading

So then I have another question; how many people cast up stream of 45degrees when swinging? I have been pitching flies with about 70 degrees....

This seems like it would work however if the fish does not really grab the fly then I will miss the strike.

Seems like there is a tight line from the get go at 45 degrees.....

Thoughts....?

As for the controversy well I got a spey this fall and diligently attempting to learn the darn thing .... I am liking it however it is different than what i have been doing with a fly rod for the last 20 years!

I am starting to cast smaller nymphs as well... i never really got into the indicators when using a single handed rod i referenced it in the first post because it seems everyone on the west coast uses an indicator...