Thread: Beach fishing near San Jose del Cabo?

Default Beach fishing near San Jose del Cabo?

I am heading down to the San Jose del Cabo area on Saturday for a week, just south of Palmilla to be exact. I am wondering if anyone can offer advise on areas to fish from shore, flies to bring, recommended rod weight, lines etc. Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike

Hi mike .

I haven't fished SJDC , but I did spend a day there watching the surf and wishing I WAS fishing .... it was a LOT bigger than the East Cape surf , and pretty scary .

That said - if it's flat , w/ little swell .... an 8 wt. with heads (sink rates I thru leadcore) will do the trick . If the suds are running much over 4-5 feet , a 9-10 wt. (or better yet , a two handed that'll throw 400-550 grains) with low-stretch mono running line/dense sinking heads (LC-13 , T-whatever ...) will be the option . Stripping basket will be needed . Make sure you have enough backing , there are terrible fish there ...

Flies ? For flat/calm conditions .... a 1/0 Clouser in Olive/White or Chart/White will catch whatever's around (15-20 Lb. tippet) . Big dirty surf means you can fish bulky stuff like a 3/0 all White or Black Deceiver . Throw out , get your line under control , strip like mad .

Most important - if the water is big and rough , don't jive yourself by taking stupid chances ... if you can't swim , stay out . Watch the wave sets for sneakers , wear a PFD if you have ANY doubts . You could hook anything in that water .... Roosters , Jacks , Sierra , etc. . Have fun and be safe .

D.~

Cool SJDC....

Agree with Davids suggestions. I would add that taking an intermediate head/line is a good idea for those times when the surf isn't up. Also, the bait (Sardinas) in the Gulf was very small in October (think 1" to 1-1/2"). Take some Gummy Minnows in the correct length (assuming you don't have any objections to using them).

There's an arroyo that flows just outside of town there. If that arroyo is connected to the surf, you can fish the tidal areas for Snook. Not much mention of that by locals down there but Black Snook do exist in that arroyo.

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Beach access inst great in that area. Some of the best access is resort front beaches. Many resorts you can park and access the beach. Once youre on the beach you can cover a lot of distance.

Palmilla actually has a good beach for fishing. Theres a panga fleet that resides there (or used to) this can be good because pangueros tend to toss surplus/dead sardinas that are leftover after their trips. Game fish frequent such places for easy pickins. Palmilla has some great structure too.

As you search for fish, blind casting around structure can produce. Look for rocks in sand beach areas.

Probably the best situation you can find is bait schools. If you find them, stay with them. The predators will come.

This is a good time for that area because it is not so negatively effected by the north winds because its southern exposure, and the tropical disturbances are ending, which are what generate the south swells that David mentioned.

This is pretty cool....

Lots of excellent info.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Forgot one important thing -

Get up early . I am on the sand before 5:00 AM every day I'm in Baja , and I'm usually done by 8:00 AM . If you are seeing bait/blowups all day , then fish all day ... but I love hunting in low light ...

Also , if Jellyfish are around , wear Nylon pants and flats boots . A Man O' War sting is a VERY bad thing .

D.~

In addition to all this helpful advice have some #15 tie able wire on hand as well as some patterns that are synthetic hair rather than buck tail....the sierra will most likely be around and they have teeth that can shorten the life of terminal tackle ...sin duda! Lew

Exclamation Toothy Critters....

Yep!!! Sierra are toothy critters but, WOW(!!!), do they make great ceviche'....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Thank you all.

Thank you guys very much for all the great information. I will make sure to give a report when I return.

Mike