Thread: Davis yesterday

Default Davis yesterday

Fished Mosquito area yesterday- 11:00 to 4:00. One other tube on the water. The fishing is unbelieveable right now. Stripping an olive/rust bugger produced a strike on literally every cast provided you didn't catch vegetation, which seemed a little heavier now than 3 weeks ago. The algae was also heavy- had to push through to find clean water. Many fish are fat with snails right now. I was not prepared for the cold water- damn cold... should have known better and really froze out there but the fishing was worth the pain.

Vaughn

"Fat with snails"? I sure wish you could have documented that, many of us hard core Lake Davis anglers have not seen a snail in four years or so. Did you take a stomach sample? I bet they were Crawdads, not snails.

Stoked you got into them, this is the best time of year to fish Lake Davis and Frenchman's! Headed to Eagle in the am until Sat. Camping at Wildcat, report to follow when I get off the glacier.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Default Davis Yesterday

Hi Jon,

Yes, most definitely snails. A few fish made it home with me and I inspected the stomach contents. This is good news...

Good luck at Eagle- I was thinking of going there myself this week.

Vaugn

Default Snails at Davis

Hi again Jon,

Well, just to be sure I wasn't dreaming last night- I went outside and actually looked at the fish guts again. Yep- snails. I know this is a big deal and super good news for the fish at Davis.

Later- Vaughn

THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!! I'd about given up on the snails...I was with Jonny thinking they might be crawdad's as well but I saw the picture and almost fell out of my chair. Here's to BIG FAT HEALTHY trout once again!!! Thanks for the report.

Pete

Happy Birthday Jon and enjoy your outing at Eagle!!!
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I fished at Mosquito Slough on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning and the conditions were great! I picked up a few fish, but that was nothing compared to some of the guys around me.

I met a well-known local guy (named Richard) who caught an unbelievable number of fish on Tuesday. He stayed anchored in one spot near the creek channel, casting methodically in every direction, slowly retrieving a #14 beadhead flashback PT under an indicator. When he caught a fish, he would cast again immediately to the same spot. I had a nice talk with Richard in the parking area; that conversation was worth 50 fish to me.

I talked to another local guy (Bill) who was wading near my raft yesterday. As he approached, he asked if he was crowding me too much... then he caught 4 fish in 15 minutes, casting to a pod he could see near the bank. He was catching them on his own blood midge pattern tied on a 3xl red Daiichi hook.

Preparing for my 4-hour drive home, I met a young man just arriving at the lake. He told me he was new to fly fishing and asked for my advice. I told him I'm not an expert, but I suggested he try an indicator rig like most of the guys were using. This fellow didn't have any indicators or nymphs (his box was full of wet flies and streamers) so I gave him an indicator and a couple of beadhead nymphs, and I pointed him in the direction of those old pros down the slough.

All the fish I caught were 14-15" and clean with no parasites. The lake looks good with all that water. I'm looking forward to next year.

--Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	3811  
    Last edited by YEM; 11-17-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    You Enjoy Myself