Thread: Klamath River guide reports

Default Klamath River guide reports

We have hosted a number of great guests and groups in the past several weeks and everyone has come away exceptionally pleased, with many folks reporting their best steelheading ever, anywhere!

Anglers have enjoyed a satisfying smorgasbord with good numbers of Jack Salmon, juvenile Steelhead, Rainbow Trout, hatchery Steelhead, wild adult Steelhead, and the most numerous of all, the famous Klamath River half-pounders. The action has been nearly nonstop. We are enjoying an Indian summer with fine weather and spectacular fall colors. Flows have been nearly ideal, steady and clear (about 4 feet of visibility), just above 1300 cfs out of Iron Gate Dam, with no change expected.

The vast majority of Salmon have finished spawning and the Rainbows and Steelhead are making their way out of the shallows and drop offs below the Salmon redds and back into the main runs. While egg patterns will continue to take their fair share of fish, nymphs have become increasingly important.

Those looking to swing will find more available dance partners moving into classic swing water. Water temps have dropped into the high forties, so deeper, slower presentations will find more willing dancers. Small dark flies are still outperforming larger patterns and leeches, even for the biggest fish.

The forecast is calling for a small front to move through this upcoming weekend which could make for a terrific holiday outing as fresh Steelhead will likely be pushed upstream sparking an already outstanding bite. We recommend you get here now!

For a complete report including some pics, please check out our website. Do drop us a line if you are headed our way and seeking guide service or not, we are always pleased to point you in a direction you are most likely to enjoy.
    Craig Nielsen

My friend Barry and I fished the Klamath with Craig on Friday 11/11. We floated the upper section from Iron Gate down. We had a fantastic day!!! Craig helped me make a couple of adjustments in my fishing that I know will make my "catch" rate go up from now on.Craig really wanted to teach me principals and then let me incorporate them into my own style.

Besides Craig there were a couple other guides from Shasta Trout on the water that day and they were all very friendly and very effective as they were all hooking fish. One of the most important qualities in a guide to me is how they treat other anglers. The Shasta Trout guides really treated other anglers well, very friendly, respecting the water of wading anglers as well as other boats, even offering advice to some struggling anglers. Craig and his other guides are real class guys.

All in all I can't wait for my next trip with Shasta Trout. If anyone is thinking about doing the Klamath I can't recommend these guys enough.

Chris Gearhart

fished with Craig last year on the Klamath and I second the post above. Beyond great fishing, Craig is very knowledgable and a class act. Can't go wrong withh these guys.

Default Thanks!

Chris & rotorhead:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experience with us. We do our best to be helpful, genuine and courteous and we very much appreciate your letting us know you enjoyed your adventures. We hope to see you again and often. This has been our best season ever and your support has helped make a difference in these challenging times.

At this time of giving thanks, a very big thank you goes out to Bill Kiene for providing such a welcoming forum for all of us to share what we can about the sport of fly fishing.

Wishing all of you and yours a very happy Thanksgiving!
    Craig Nielsen