Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Creek Reservoir?

Default Indian Creek Reservoir?

Small chance I may have a day next week to get out. Does anyone know what the lake / road conditions are like to ICR? Never been there, been wanting to go for some time now. Any suggestions on how to best fish the lake (location, time, etc.)?

Dan

I was there about 3 weeks ago. The gate to the campground and Launch Ramp was locked so don't plan on taking a trailered boat there. You can still tube it. Midge under a bobber within a foot of the bottom is a good call there.

I was in the area last weekend and I drove right by ICR, and the road is open and clear from snow, but I can't say that I fished it and I didn't see anyone out when I drove by. Its pretty cold right now, so I think it'll be pretty slow. I fished it a few times early last summer and I caught a bunch on damsel nymphs, but I doubt that would be very effective now.

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default Indian Creek

Quote Originally Posted by colfaxtroutman View Post
    Never been there, been wanting to go for some time now. Any suggestions on how to best fish the lake (location, time, etc.)?
    Have had some luck in fall winter with slime lines or type 3 or 6 tips and purple bunny leechs mid day. Long slow strips.
    Brian Endlich

Thanks everyone. Is there a better area to fish this lake? Hoping the weather cooperates.

Dan

I am thinking about making an run up there on Sunday. Never fished it this late, mostly stopped in late October but as everything is a month behind this year I think it could be good. Blood midges slowly stripped or under an indicator, purple bugger, Matuka. Slower is better there and you never know where you're going to find fish. Sometimes the deep water around the dam works well, often the other end in the flats is better.

Okay, thanks for the info. If you end up going Sunday (today) PM me and let me know how you do (if you don't mind)?

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by LocalCenters View Post
    I am thinking about making an run up there on Sunday. Never fished it this late, mostly stopped in late October but as everything is a month behind this year I think it could be good. Blood midges slowly stripped or under an indicator, purple bugger, Matuka. Slower is better there and you never know where you're going to find fish. Sometimes the deep water around the dam works well, often the other end in the flats is better.

Was there a couple of weeks ago and was the best I had ever done there. 15+ hookups. Fished all over, started at the shore across from the campground by the dirt road then kicked across to campgroud area got a few then kicked towards the dam and again got some then back to the starting point. Fished a full sink type 4 and got them on green wolly bugger with some sparkle. But fish were all over. Hardly any wind all day. Fish were in the sixteen inch range. And water temp was 52, and it was a beautiful day but burrrr cold air temp..

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Now I'm just hoping the wind doesn't get too bad. I love fishing new water!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RenoLipRipper View Post
    Was there a couple of weeks ago and was the best I had ever done there. 15+ hookups. Fished all over, started at the shore across from the campground by the dirt road then kicked across to campgroud area got a few then kicked towards the dam and again got some then back to the starting point. Fished a full sink type 4 and got them on green wolly bugger with some sparkle. But fish were all over. Hardly any wind all day. Fish were in the sixteen inch range. And water temp was 52, and it was a beautiful day but burrrr cold air temp..

Default Short Strikes!

Well I was warned about the short strikes... and for good reason. I fished for about 4 hours, water was a constant 44 degrees. Things started off promising with a few strikes right out of the gate. I fished an I-line with an olive wiggle tail and a blood midge dropper. Long, slow strips. I was warned about short strikes being the norm, so I made sure I used brand new fly's with sharp hooks. I had at least 2 dozen strikes, hooked and LDR'd 6, and netted zero! I have never had this happen before, it was very frustrating but will definately keep me coming back to settle the score. The fish I did hook into felt like they had some size to them. All grabs were in 10' or less of water. Had quite a few strikes in the shallow water up near the bank. I never made it over to the dam, since the area I was working seemed to be holding hungry trout. Any ideas on how to combat this problem? Can't figure out why this one lake would be so much tougher than anywhere else I usually fish?

Dan