Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Reels?

Default Cartridge Reels?

Thinking of buying a new reel soon. I am leaning towards one of the new Echo Ion reels that Bill posted about, they have great reviews for the price. In my searching I keep seeing these cartridge set ups.

Anyone have any opinions on how these reels hold up? I've seen some marked at very low price points, and they usually come with at least 1 extra spool. Just looking for input.

FYI - I fish for trout, and since I fish mostly from a tube these days I rarely get a fish on the reel so I don't need a crazy drag system. I also don't pay big bucks for fishing gear so please refrain from recommending a reel that runs in the $200 or higher price range.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

The Sea Level Tempest reels are great for both fresh and saltwater, plus they are $125 in the 5/6 size and $175 in the 7/8 size. I have both and have used them in both fresh and saltwater.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

The Ion is the best bang for your buck out there. Cartridges aren't the most durable. Big in europe for some reason, dead in the states.

I bought an ion 4/5 to check it out. Seems like a great reel for the price. Only drawback I see, especially for a stillwater reel (where you may want multiple spools, and you'll be in your tube) is the lack of a quick release spool. You have to unscrew a cap (and keep track of it) while you change spools.

Woodman, cap doesn't need to come all the way off to take off the spool.

That's good to know, and worth thinking about. I usually take multiple setups, but if I'm packing stuff in than I only take 1 rod and 1 reel, with extra spools holding appropriate lines. Thanks Woodman.

Scott, I googled those reels and they came up priced at $250? You aren't playing by the rules .

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I bought an ion 4/5 to check it out. Seems like a great reel for the price. Only drawback I see, especially for a stillwater reel (where you may want multiple spools, and you'll be in your tube) is the lack of a quick release spool. You have to unscrew a cap (and keep track of it) while you change spools.

Default reels

In Scott's defense, the Sea Level reels have been on sale at various times at
    really low prices. I've never bit; so, can't give you a review.
    Best,
    Larry S

Trying to visualize how this wood work? But +1 for the Ion. Thanks Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post

I'll have to take another look. Haven't actually even spooled up the reel yet, but the quality of the reel is high at face value.

He's right. I'm a moron. Interesting mechanism.