Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here are DFG's proposed Striped Bass reg changes

Post Petitions....

cyama,.... Water4fish has a petition ready for draft/signature and mailing. Check out the link:

http://water4fish.org/write-letters-...x.php/id/.215/

After completing the petition note you can address it in an e-mail to:

BDO@usbr.gov

In doing some rummaging around on grower websites, I came across the Family Farm Alliance. This is an advocacy group for farming issues and, apparently, very influential. They spread a bunch of money around and associate with governmental officials at all levels. They're educated and well prepared on most issues, including water.

If you dig deep enough into some of these websites, it becomes obvious that there is a plan/strategy to utilize the EPA/ESA to advance their agenda which is to reduce obstacles to securing water for irrigation. Some of the publications I've seen address the need to identify and eliminate each and every one of the so-called invasive species, one-by-one and they appear to be ready to litigate to back that up. These publications are polished and professional and make their case in terms that sound quite logical and are backed up with science by industry organizations. So,.... With that in mind, we're in for a lengthy and difficult fight. We'll need to adopt a professional approach.
    Last edited by Darian; 11-08-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Apples and Oranges...

Darian,

The petition you cite has nothing to do with the proposed Striped Bass reg. changes. Although its a worthy cause and something worth signing on to, it won't help with the issue of convincing the F&G Commission to reject DFG's proposed reg. change. As I said in my previous post we will be coming out a sample letter and data based talking points for the effort at the December Commission meeting. It will answer "cyama"'s questions too. Again, everyone.. Please be patient..It's coming!

Mike

Post MOA....

Yep!!! I didn't read the proposed letter before posting the link. My bad. The letter, with a few changes, does serve a good purpose. I plan on using the template to protest the MOA.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike McKenzie,
    Thank you immensely for all that you do and have done for the fly rod striper addict. Keep up the good work.
    HATCH

Cool

A lot of angry, but respectful fisherman/ladies at the 'workshop' this evening. Jerry posted a photo on FB: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

Besides Jerry[inLodi], I saw Darian, lots of CSBA members, a few CSPA members [Mike McKenzie, Chris Shutes, John Ryzanich], and several guides [Mike Costello, Mike Gravert among others] and tackle shop owners as well as Dan Bacher. Thank you to all who made the trip! I'm sure there were others there that I didn't see.

There were 6 or so armed DFG wardens standing in the back of the room and Director Bonham was nowhere in site. I have to say Marty Gingras had his hands full.

Basically, Marty showed and very briefly explained a powerpoint presentation on 'some' research that had been done to back up their recommendations. He stated that the presentation would be available on the DFG website 'sometime soon'. Still not enough science there as far as I'm concerned. Then, one-by-one, members of the audience were permitted up to 3 minutes to speak their piece. A lot of them wanted to know why water was not being targeted... I'm not sure they understand that DFG is making these recommendations strictly to fulfill the requirements of the settlement. Paul came up with an interesting theory - maybe they came up with these regulations that seem so unreasonable, on purpose, so that the Fish & Game Commission would be sure to reject them - effectively putting an end to the lawsuit anyway... hmmmm .

Paul and I are seriously considering a trip down to San Diego for the FGC meeting in December. We'll need all hands on deck as well as as many letters as possible sent in to DFG/FGC to dispute these regulations once CSPA issues their form letter. Be ready folks!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Mike McKenzie,
    Thank you immensely for all that you do and have done for the fly rod striper addict. Keep up the good work.
    HATCH
    +1 Mr. McKenzie. Thank you very much for fighting the good fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    A lot of angry, but respectful fisherman/ladies at the 'workshop' this evening. Jerry posted a photo on FB: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

Besides Jerry[inLodi], I saw Darian, lots of CSBA members, a few CSPA members [Mike McKenzie, Chris Shutes, John Ryzanich], and several guides [Mike Costello, Mike Gravert among others] and tackle shop owners as well as Dan Bacher. Thank you to all who made the trip! I'm sure there were others there that I didn't see.

There were 6 or so armed DFG wardens standing in the back of the room and Director Bonham was nowhere in site. I have to say Marty Gingras had his hands full.

Basically, Marty showed and very briefly explained a powerpoint presentation on 'some' research that had been done to back up their recommendations. He stated that the presentation would be available on the DFG website 'sometime soon'. Still not enough science there as far as I'm concerned. Then, one-by-one, members of the audience were permitted up to 3 minutes to speak their piece. A lot of them wanted to know why water was not being targeted... I'm not sure they understand that DFG is making these recommendations strictly to fulfill the requirements of the settlement. Paul came up with an interesting theory - maybe they came up with these regulations that seem so unreasonable, on purpose, so that the Fish & Game Commission would be sure to reject them - effectively putting an end to the lawsuit anyway... hmmmm .

Paul and I are seriously considering a trip down to San Diego for the FGC meeting in December. We'll need all hands on deck as well as as many letters as possible sent in to DFG/FGC to dispute these regulations once CSPA issues their form letter. Be ready folks!

Thank you for the report on the meeting. I'm very glade to hear there was a good turn out. Waiting to hear the next steps, and how we, the folks that cannot attend meetings, can help.

briansII

Question Next Step....

Brian,.... The important next step is to read/absorb the info upcoming from DFG, on-line and, as Mike suggests, "expend all the energy you have left writing a cogent, factual letter to the F&G Commission explaining why the proposed reg. changes are wrong."

The meeting last night turned out to be better than I expected. DFG staff clarified the process involved in developing and making this proposal. For the most part, people who spoke were civil. With the exception of one or two speakers, it was obvious that they were controlling themselves. There were a couple of clearly inappropriate questions asked but for the most part the questions asked were pointed and what I expected.

To their credit, DFG staff made a genuine effort to answer the questions they could. Gotta give "props" to Marty Gringas for putting up with a lot of heat sent in his direction in a calm/collected manor (I sure don't have that much patience ). Some of the questions couldn't/shouldn't be answered by DFG staff but they agreed to take the questions back to their director for response....

Author unknown

Question

Has anybody read this?

http://www.swr.noaa.gov/media/SalmonDeclineReport.pdf

Thoughts?

A WHOLE lot of discussion going on over on the Blanton BB this morning...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Brian,.... The important next step is to read/absorb the info upcoming from DFG, on-line and, as Mike suggests, "expend all the energy you have left writing a cogent, factual letter to the F&G Commission explaining why the proposed reg. changes are wrong."

The meeting last night turned out to be better than I expected. DFG staff clarified the process involved in developing and making this proposal. For the most part, people who spoke were civil. With the exception of one or two speakers, it was obvious that they were controlling themselves. There were a couple of clearly inappropriate questions asked but for the most part the questions asked were pointed and what I expected.

To their credit, DFG staff made a genuine effort to answer the questions they could. Gotta give "props" to Marty Gringas for putting up with a lot of heat sent in his direction in a calm/collected manor (I sure don't have that much patience ). Some of the questions couldn't/shouldn't be answered by DFG staff but they agreed to take the questions back to their director for response....

Thanks Darian. I've been following along as best I can. I do plan on sending a letter(s) when I have digested enough to make a coherent argument against the proposed regulation change. Hopefully, lots of other folks will do the same.

briansII

If you are interested in reading more, go to

http://forums.coastsidefishingclub.c...r-Striped-Bass

Continued signficant back and forth dialogue including Marty Gingras where he answers many questions after yesterday's meeting.

You Tube Video of the meeting is included in the thread. I would post the link to the youtube vids but wasn't sure I am allowed to do that......

Playback only includes the Presentation by Stafford and Marty.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 11-10-2011 at 12:50 AM.