Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "closing day" memorial?

Default "closing day" memorial?

I know that most of the fanfare usually revolves around "opening day", but since THE END is nearing I have been sorrowful and pondering where o where shall I spend my final day(s?) of the official season. No I'm not going to hang my rod up for the winter season, but one has to admit that it's just not quite the same in the coming gloomy months: hatches are sparse, fish are sluggish and picky, fingers are numb... etc, etc, etc... you know good stuff like that. I can remember well being very happy to come home from the Truckee last winter having landed more than 1 single fish... hell I remember being pretty happy to have days where I HOOKED more than 1 fish!!!

So it seems that the time is NOW (or perhaps it was yesterday?), wondering where should a soul in lament venture to get his last fill of fall's bounty? Any ideas? I'm looking at trying to get out sometimes next week, hopefully for a 2-3 day stint but looking more likely to just be a 1-1.5 day blitz. Tight lines everyone, hope y'all are enjoying this glorious fall to the fullest...
    JB

The upper McCloud fished really well for me last week and not a person around.

Dec/Jan/Feb is kind of hard on us, especially when we get older.

A good winter fishery can be Eagle Lake till the end of the year.

Pyramid Lake out of Reno, Nevada for the big Cutthroats is a good bet all winter.

Some like Baum Lake all winter.

Winter Steelheading is a big gamble but it can be a changing event if you hook one big wild chromer.

__________________________________________________ _____

You can go south to get warmer in the winter.

Anglers Inn on El Salto Reservoir for LMB near Mazatlan, Mexico is good in the winter.

You can go to the tropics, especially near the equator.

You can go to Argentina/Chile or New Zealand too.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think Bill summed that up pretty well.
    There is no end, just confusion about what the heck to do next.

Jason, you are a better angler this year. Maybe you can hook up two this winter...
    Might be interesting to swing some of my fresh, steel-head flies around here.
    Let me know if you come up.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 11-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Hey Jason, I'm not doing much next weekend. Hit me up if you wanna fish!
    J

Default Deal!

Jim and Jay, sounds like a deal to both of ya! Bill, I wish... unfortunately I don't foresee warmer climate fishing in our cards this winter. I think it's more like ensuring that the frostbite in my finger tips is sufficiently maintained in such exotic locales as Truckee, and Bridgeport and some of those lakes you mentioned, and anywhere else I can stand a reasonable chance of catching something more than just hypothermia. Perhaps next year my wife and I will head south again, I can (and do!) certainly dream...
    JB

For me fishing season never ends, there are so many opportunities in this area. I'll fish for anything that swims and there are plenty of places and fish to go after all times of the year in the Sacramento and adjacent areas.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wow, I'm actually getting MORE excited; Dry Fly fishing on one of my favorite rivers, bigger fish in general, and the smell of rotting salmon in the rivers.

Sorry, but how can one NOT be excited for winter fly fishing in norcal?

Jason you need to get a float tube, there's always some place you can find trout in the winter .

Default not hanging up the gear...

Just to be clear, in NO WAY am I hanging my gear up for the winter. That wasn't really my intended message, more just a bit of lament at the passing of a fantastic summer/fall of flyfishing. I'm all over fishing in the winter, and open to learning new waters and fishes. Still, I have to say that I really enjoy the "official season" for what it offers...

Mostly I think I just had mostly humbling days on most of the closest waters that were open last winter, quite a few skunks. I did have some successes when I made the drive up over the hill to Truckee, or down to Bridgeport... but no afterwork evenings wetwading in my favorite local streams. I think mostly the "closing" date is just another day with symbolic reference; one tinged with a bit of a nostalgia. A day to celebrate a fantastic "season" filled with precious memories of blissful time spent in sublime places.
    JB