Thread: Ediquette

Lightbulb Etiquette

Etiquette is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according
    to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group.

Today after many days of thinking about the lack of ethical conduct and simple things like cover your mouth when you sneeze, I decided to bite the bullet and share some simple fishing etiquette facts. Whether you are on/in a lake, river or any body of water there are unwritten codes of etiquette.

Let’s start with the basics. Fisherman are out there for some relaxation and possibly some peace and quiet. You don’t have to look hard on the FLY FISHERMAN magazine to find the words “The Quiet Sport”.The running up on another boat or encroaching another tuber….WHY ? Respect his or her space.

The stepping into a river below a person that is working a pool is a real basic NO-NO ! In the old days….you always entered at the top of the pool and fished down to the tail out and then got out and moved back to the top and started over.

Today, with the increased popularity in the sport there appears the need to beat someone to a spot. The Delta is just one example. If a boat is drifting with the current or has the trolling motor down heading in a specific direction…..than treat it just like a pool on a river. Don’t jump in front and cutoff the established boat. It’s just that plain and simple.

If someone is working a small bay whether in a lake like San Luis or elsewhere, you can usually tell the direction of travel. He/she may have started away from their favorite spot to make a stealth approach. Respect that; either jump in behind within reason or find another spot.

Many times we hear the term “burning someone’s water”. Not sure what that means or if it has any value saying it. BUT racing into an area that someone is fishing….and I’ll define racing as the waves practically throw individuals out of the other boat…just ain’t cool. I’m sure in some places it (being quiet and slow rather than racing around) has merit. Just ask the old San Luis guys who use to get out of their boats and into their tubes to make stealth approaches.

WE have these discussions on various boards and I just thought it was time to re-emphasize some key points. So please recognize we are all out there to have a good relaxing time. If all else fails ask yourself if the roles were reversed would the action be acceptable to you?

Let’s continue to use “good judgment” and share the water no matter what method of take is being used.
    Last edited by Don S; 10-31-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Tight Lines & Screaming Reels,

Don

Don, what brought this on, did someone gore your ox?

Ettiquette is a pretty relative and wide rangeing topic.

Ediquette on the other hand, is near and dear to my heart. You'd have to fish with me personally for many years to fully understand all the subtle nuances of Ediquette.
    I may write a book about that just to inform the unwashed masses of how to conduct themselves while fishing with me.
    You'd think these people's dads would have taken the time to teach them proper ediquette when they're still kids. Man, parenting these days ain't like it used to be.

I fished with a guy once who drank the last beer. Can you believe that? Talk about violating the code of Edics. I snatched his coil wire before driving away late that evening.

Here's hoping you have a sense of humor.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Question Ed/Ediquette....

Hmmm,.... Anyone else notice the connection between Ed and Ediquette
    I rest my case....

Thanks Ed....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Don,

A little bird told me it was an industry "icon" who burned your water. If so, that guys is even a bigger a jerk than I've been told he is.

Regards,
    Don (aka oldtrout)

Default Ediquette

Having fished, drank beer, and gone on creek clean-ups in the Sierras with Ed, I can report that "basic" ediquette is not hard to follow and makes for a good day on the water. The only problematic tenet was that surprise last beer rule....
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default Etiquette

Yeagh- Thought I missed a thread!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Have you ever fished Canada? Every code you stated is broken regularly in the spirit of friendliness. As opposed to "Get away from me, Im fishing this!" Its "Hey, looks like you found some fish! I'll just cast into your fish and we'll make it a party! Eh!"