Thread: American river regulations

Default American river regulations

Can you fish for steelhead between nov 1 and jan 1 from sailor bar all the way down river once the salmon ban starts?

Default Ticket time

That would be a nice fine. No fishing allowed from the hatchery down to the power lines at Ancil Hoffman park from Nov.1 thru Dec 31. Good luck this steelie season! See you out there on Jan 1st.

you can fish near the dam however i beleive still

Why wait... they're beginning to show up now in the lower river from Watt to Paradise (even at River Bend Park on Sun eve (7 lb hatchery caught by conventional salmon fisherman). This time of year steelhead are hot and grabby with less angling pressure. I've landed early winter steelhead (6-12lbs) in mid Nov. dime bright at Paradise Beach near the golf course swinging sinktips and leech patterns, even landed one on a #6 green butt skunk and floating line in Nov 04' or 03'. By Jan 1st they've staged up to spawn from lower Sunrise to Sailor Bar, especially in every side channel (why they were built) and I dont recommend walking near the redds from the spawning salmon and steelhead. If you prefer to indicator fish try the Watt run below the bridge early in the morning (North side of river) or the current seams and riffle near Paradise Beach.
    They'll even hit yarn when I'm teaching casting lessons as it hangs in the current, even on floating lines.....or you can wait til Jan 1st and leave the river to the few of us who fish it this time of year.....I like less crowds.....happy winter steelheading!
    (The fish dont show up all at the same time on the night of Dec 31st). JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Default Thanks Jeff

Words of wisdom from a veteran who knows the game!