Thread: 8400' lakes advice cutties

Default 8400' lakes advice cutties

I am going to hit this lake at 7400' this weekend. I know there are cutties in it since i was there last weekend. I saw a lot of baitfish around the shores and fish jumping pretty much everywhere in the middle of the lake.

I plan to hike my tube in and try some streamer action. I caught a baitfish with a nymph to take a look at it. it had a silver body with a black back.

Do you guys think a black/white or olive/white clouser will work? what size?

What are your experiences?
    Last edited by kabah088; 06-26-2012 at 10:52 PM.

how long is the hike? are you talking the lake that isnt square lake?

I would throw just a black wiggle tail in a size 8, but then again that is my main go to fly that has caught a lot of different fish in a lot of different waters. If it was me fishing I would stick to something around a size 8 or maybe a little smaller on an intermediate line, if I was not catching I would switch over to a type 3 line, but I catch 99% of my trout in lakes on an intermediate line even at lakes up over 8000'.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I'd have to agree with Scott. An all purpose attractor type lake fly, wiggletail, small leech or bugger, etc. depending on your preference. I wouldn't get too focused on the baitfish. Might work, but have a good backup plan...or several of them.

With fish rising, an ant or beetle might be worth a shot as well.

I have rio versi tip 7 wt. i plan to use the streamer with the clear 1 ips 15 ft tip . what kind of leader should i use?

I would go with a 9' 4x, then some floro tippet.

Thanks colfax,
    I dont have any flouru but a lot of maxima. Ill give it a shot and let you know!

Honestly I'm not even 100% convinced that floro is a must. I have it, and use it, but I don't know that I catch more fish because I use it?

Quote Originally Posted by kabah088 View Post
    Thanks colfax,
    I dont have any flouru but a lot of maxima. Ill give it a shot and let you know!