Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redbluff Area

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Simple question. Inappropriate answer for the question. Typical response from the protist.

me
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Amoeba, way to make people feel welcome to ask "normal" questions. Wow!

Default Real nice amoeba.

Why? What purpose? Do you feel better now?

Rfg - LSac is a good place to fish. Lots of spots to wade, particularly at these flows. Check The Fly Shop, they will have info for you -they used to have maps for waders that showed access points. Try Google Earth.

How much time do you have? Within an hours(+/-) drive there is a lot of easily accessable streams to fish. Again...check with TFS.

Good luck and have fun.

Ignore the flamers and the trollers, there are very few on this board - in fact amoeba's post is the first one I've seen in years here...congrats amoeba.

Thanks everyone for the info. It's ok with the negative comment, amoeba probably had someone crap in his granola that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    define "near by":

I know a number of places within 30 miles of Red Bluff with 15-30 trout per pool (nothing large, just lots of them), miles and miles of wadeable small water, that are hardly ever fished (or visited by humans at all), but it will take 2 hours driving, mostly on dirt roads, plus about 6 hours hiking through rough trail, to get there; and ~3 days plus to get out downstream. Also, how good are you at free-climbing? (20-30 foot sheer cliffs with backpack, fishing rod, and no rope, but good handholds?) Resistence to poison oak rash would be an asset, since you'll be hiking through that all the way. You should plan about a week, though. And don't count on cell phone service either, or satellite phone coverage (too tight a box canyon). And if you are thinking of getting rescued, forget that also (too deep in canyon for plane to see, no less helicopter to get close). Good bear viewing too - they love the poison oak berries (droppings everywhere) - and anything else that isn't inside a bear cannister or up in the air. In fact, they chewed up a couple empty bear cannisters - and they seem to like wading shoes as well. So just warning ya, in case . They're HUNGRY! Maybe bring a few bear biscuits. And keep your tent zipped up so they don't spread your blood all over the place. Yes, I'm talking California, near Red Bluff. Still interested?

If so, I have art, if someone can tell me how to reduce the JPG's size enough so I can post a few picks here.

It's amazing what fisheries can be like without us thumping them daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ouch...Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Thanks Amoeba,that was completely pointless. Back to reality and not a fictional movie.....
    Quote Originally Posted by loganmike View Post
    Simple question. Inappropriate answer for the question. Typical response from the protist.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Amoeba, way to make people feel welcome to ask "normal" questions. Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Why? What purpose? Do you feel better now?

Rfg - LSac is a good place to fish. Lots of spots to wade, particularly at these flows. Check The Fly Shop, they will have info for you -they used to have maps for waders that showed access points. Try Google Earth.

How much time do you have? Within an hours(+/-) drive there is a lot of easily accessable streams to fish. Again...check with TFS.

Good luck and have fun.

Ignore the flamers and the trollers, there are very few on this board - in fact amoeba's post is the first one I've seen in years here...congrats amoeba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. It's ok with the negative comment, amoeba probably had someone crap in his granola that morning.
    Did somebody say Steelhead? Oh wait this is still the Trout Board. Sorry I thought I was in the right place.......

Ross,

My opinion only, but 7000 cfs is a little on the high side for wading the lower Sac, especially your first time (probably safer than amoeba's suggestion though). Difficult to access a lot fo good water. Doable, but be careful. Although from a drift boat nymphing is the number one choice of fishing methods, don't discount swinging flies or even streamers for lower Sac trout if you're wading.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/res_KES.html

If you've never fished the lower Sac, and you have a full day, hire a guide and do a float.

Give us a report on your adventures.
    Last edited by Woodman; 10-24-2011 at 06:26 PM.

I went up to the sundial bridge. I was told it's been slow. I got nothing my my nymphing the riffs BUT a caddie hatch started to rise and so did the fish. I missed one and caught one 19" in 2.5 hrs. Didn't even have to climb a bluff face or wrestle bears. I'm pretty satisfied with today.

Right on...catching a fish on a dry fly is an honor on the Sac.

It definitely was awesome. Especially when the fish took off like a missle. Got me pretty pumped up. I haven't caught a dry fly fish in awhile vwish I could do this for a living.