Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redbluff Area

Default Redbluff Area

Im headed up to redbluff for work and have sometime to try my luck. Can anyone suggest a good river near by and type of flies for this time of year. I haven't fished this area for about 12 yrs and need a little advice. Thanks.

I hear there's a little small river that runs right by red bluff that has a lot of fish in it?

LOL.

Google "Lower Sacramento River Trout"

Anyone at Kiene's (the owner of this board) should be able to give you guide recommendations, tackle and fly recommendations, etc.

Your timing is good because the flows on the Lower Sac are dropping so it becomes more wader friendly. Talked with a couple of guys last week and they said caddis dry flied were working, so I would suggest Mercer's Missing Link.

What are some good access points to get to the river that'a wad friendly?

Get ahold of Lance Gray, he did a Cal FF article on all of the best spots to wade.
    http://lancegrayandcompany.com/I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Default what fishing is like without us thumping them daily

define "near by":

I know a number of places within 30 miles of Red Bluff with 15-30 trout per pool (nothing large, just lots of them), miles and miles of wadeable small water, that are hardly ever fished (or visited by humans at all), but it will take 2 hours driving, mostly on dirt roads, plus about 6 hours hiking through rough trail, to get there; and ~3 days plus to get out downstream. Also, how good are you at free-climbing? (20-30 foot sheer cliffs with backpack, fishing rod, and no rope, but good handholds?) Resistence to poison oak rash would be an asset, since you'll be hiking through that all the way. You should plan about a week, though. And don't count on cell phone service either, or satellite phone coverage (too tight a box canyon). And if you are thinking of getting rescued, forget that also (too deep in canyon for plane to see, no less helicopter to get close). Good bear viewing too - they love the poison oak berries (droppings everywhere) - and anything else that isn't inside a bear cannister or up in the air. In fact, they chewed up a couple empty bear cannisters - and they seem to like wading shoes as well. So just warning ya, in case . They're HUNGRY! Maybe bring a few bear biscuits. And keep your tent zipped up so they don't spread your blood all over the place. Yes, I'm talking California, near Red Bluff. Still interested?

If so, I have art, if someone can tell me how to reduce the JPG's size enough so I can post a few picks here.

It's amazing what fisheries can be like without us thumping them daily.

Ouch...Bob!

Thanks Amoeba,that was completely pointless. Back to reality and not a fictional movie.....

Default The little creek

There are no bears in Red Bluff. Lots of rattlesnakes and people with guns around Battle Creek.
    Last edited by cyama; 10-23-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: too much info

Antelope Creek , East of Red Bluff. Amoeba is talking about reality.
    Last edited by Black Cloud; 10-23-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Spelling