Thread: East Carson

Default East Carson

Since the fall colors seem to be peaking this week, I will be heading up to the Carson Pass area Thursday with my camera and fly rods. I was thinking of trying my luck with the East Carson, but have never fished it. Any suggestions on where and what type of fishing works best this time of year? Thanks.

fishing late

fishing when it isn't raining/snowing.

#20 smidges (small midges), as small as you can thread. Look for fish rising after what appears to be nothing.

#16 or smaller mayflies, in cream or rust

#16 fox pupa emergers, green

6x tippet or lighter.

orange stims if oct cadd are abundant (they are always flying around this time of year but doesn't mean fish are keyed on them)

anywhere there is cover (rock shade, bank shade, overhead vegetation, deep water).

just walk in from hangman's either way, or near wolf creek turnoff (another 10 miles or so upstream), or anywhere in between.
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-20-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Default A bit of Carson advice...

The best days on the Carson this time of year are the cloudy / high overcast ones. The baetis come off and the fish are slurping them off of the surface ALL DAY. I've even fished it in the rain for the same reason, and it was good, but cloudy was better.

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/