Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Buggers

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace View Post
    Nice Jay, is that a Gar?
    Yep. Its a long nose gar. I got into em good on the mississippi last summer in western wisconsin. I got them on a variety of flies including a bugger. Ive caught Pike, walleye, LMB, SMB, carp, a variety of panfish on buggers. and I caught a bowfin on a chartreuse bugger.

Heres one of the bowfin but obviously, this one took a clouser....

I just had to google "bowfin" I wasn't familiar with that fish. Kinda looks like a snakehead but I realize that it's different. How do they fight?

BTW Jay, i'm jealous about all these new and different species of fish that you have available to you now!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Look up Jay Fair's "wiggletail", it'll answer all your questions about tiny 'buggers. I've been using it a lot since Gene turned me onto it.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace View Post
    How do they fight?
    The one I caught hit back in MI like a ton of bricks, and fought like a brick as well.

Scott

Like jbird, I fish the Mississippi, mostly out of Pepin. Smallmouth and white(silver)bass and whatever, along the rip rap, wingdams and up the river mouths. Seems like every trip you think you've hooked the mother of all smallmouth, only to come up with that toothy thing. I grew up knowing 'em as dogfish.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

I know for a fact a big Dogfish can pull a 10ft jonboat around for quite a while before it tires out. We caught them in the backwaters off the Kankakee River near Momence, Il.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Talking Buggers

That Gar is too cool!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Default size 16 wiggle tail

[QUOTE=Ed Wahl;112453]Look up Jay Fair's "wiggletail", it'll answer all your questions about tiny 'buggers. I've been using it a lot since Gene turned me onto it.
    Ed[/QUOTE
    Hey Wooly Bugger ....if you send me a pm with your address i'll send you a couple to try out.
    Here's some info. for tying one up:
    Hook: TMC 2499 SP-BL Size 16, straight eye, 2x heavy, 3x wide, 2x short.
    Thread: UNI-Mono size 4 fine/clear.
    Ice Dubbing: black peacock.
    Marabou: Black...the tips only.

fishon...Gene

I've been using #14 & #16 buggers for some time. I like 'em a lot...obviously, it depends on the stillwater situation & what I'm reading, but you bet, they can be killer flies.
    RFT

Default #16 buggers

Greg Bonovich used to tie them. I still have a couple I got from him a few years ago. I fished them on Putah creek and other streams with some success. He is at putahcreekflyfishing.com