Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Buggers

Default Baby Buggers

Does anyone use or tie Wooly Buggers size 16 and smaller? If so, how successful have they been?

Wooly Bugger Fly Co.
    www.woolybuggerflyco.com

Then Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." (Mark 1:17)
    Last edited by Wooly Bugger; 10-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Thumbs up Smallish....

For my use, a small Wooly Bugger wouldn't be much different than fishing a Griffiths Gnat, wet. Not sure why I'd want tie one that small....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian. Where are you from? There seems to be some interest in smaller buggers for the smaller streams in MO. I think a size 16 may be ideal on a 4 wt rod. I haven't tried it yet. It is hard to find those sizes for buggers. I love fishing with buggers and I might give it a try. Thanks.

Thumbs up Buggerzzzzzz....

I'm from Sacramento, CA (I know there's a Sacramento in the mid-west, too).

I'm sure there's someone around here that uses small buggers but aren't saying much about it. I just can't see a reason to make an effective, simple fly (the gnat) more complex by tying the same size with a tail and rib. Of course, there're size 16 hooks that're longer shanked than others making a size 16 into a size 14 fly.

Since I never tie on anything smaller than a size 18 hook, I'm probably the wrong person to listen to....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The smallest buggers I fish are 12 and 14s. I don't think there would be much benefit to tying em any smaller than 16s. Just my 2 cents... But give it a shot and let us know how they work for you.

Palmering hackle that small sounds tough compared to just a scruffy dubbed body with a marabou tail. It sounds like wet fly fishing, imitating insects rather than bait fish.

The wooly bugger is such an effective fly I couldn't see why such a small version couldn't be effective. Almost every single species of fish I have caught has succumbed to the wooly bugger, the most exotic would be tarpon and snook. I specially tied some saltwater buggers to test out my idea that anything will try to eat a bugger.

If the size 16 is tied correctly (more than likely very sparely) then i would bet it could be effective.

Has anyone else here caught some unlikely species on a bugger?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

http://www.diablovalleyflyfish.org/f...roe_leech.html

I fish this fly in sizes down to #12's. Have have good success on Fall River and many lakes. My favorites are olive and maroon.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Nice Jay, is that a Gar?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member