Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby Buggers

These will be size 14s, which is a little bigger than you asked for but still fairly small for WB patterns. The title says Tenkara Friendly but most of the fishing I have done with them is out of a float tube with traditional fly tackle for trout. I have also used them on bass and bluegill in cattle holding tanks or farm ponds successfully. Here is the link, complete with pictures of the patterns, with materials listings and tying instructions: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...hp?f=15&t=3922

I use microbuggers all the time and I tie them in sizes 14 and 16 using microtungsten coneheads on them. I've found them to be very effective dead drifted as nymphs and then strip retrieved at the end of the drift. I often use them as the weighted nymph on a 2 or 3 fly rig, and they are equally effective on trout, bass, and bluegill, although I generally fish for trout most of the time.

I keep them tied up in olives, blacks, and rust colors. They are easy to cast even with a 3 weight rod. Here's one in olive:

Mike

Hey Jay,
    Is that a fish or Abel's new needle-nose pliers? I've enjoyed some success in San Diego's trout lakes stripping
    10-12 buggers. BTW, the Griffith's Gnat is a legendary fly; both dry and sunk. Too often, we (me) think that the
    hot pattern is going to be the latest creation. Don't overlook those classics.
    Best in '13,
    Larry S
    Last edited by Larry S; 01-09-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: common sense

I've tied and used them down to size 22, with excellent results on various still waters, especially in dun and other subtle colors just before some mayfly hatches.

I'm a big fan of using vintage patterns....
    The Black Zulu is kinda like a mini black wooly bugger, but with a red tail. I use them down to 16 and they are $$$$!

They have a gar fish in Florida and I hear it is good eating too.

I think size 16 buggers would be good........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

...with wire
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

The tiniest buggers I seafood are 12 and 14s. I don't think there would be much advantage to attaching em any small than 16s. Just my 2 pennies... But try it out and let us know how they perform for you.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 07-24-2014 at 11:08 PM.