Thread: Silver Fork Today

Question Silver Fork Today

Going up to China Flat Cmpgrnd today. Never been up there this late in the year. Anyone got any tips on flies,etc.
    I'm wild about native planters!

Default A guess...

First off I have yet to fish the Silver fork, but I have been fishing most other streams and creeks in the American drainage lately (a lot). Most attractor patterns are still productive, especially in faster riffled water or smaller eddies. Terrestrials have also been good to me on and off. Stimulators are usually good too, especially big orange ones right now with the October caddis starting to show. There were some pretty good numbers of them out the other evening at a similar elevation nearby, so I'd guess that the Silver fork may have good numbers of them now too? I wouldn't say that the fish were keyed on them at all, but they were certainly very interested in my imitations...

I have found that if I'm having trouble getting bites, or having a lot of refusals on my fly that moving to some slightly faster water can help as the fish don't have near as much time to inspect your offering. Likewise a bit of riffles can help to mask the fly and line slapping into the water a bit; in those really calm pools any little splash at all is a big impact on the fish.
    I'd imagine that the fishing should be hot up there right now,
    good luck JB

Default Silver Fork

Thanks Jason! I'll pick up some orange stimulators on the way up this morning. I plan on also hitting my spots along the SFA. Sounds like stealth is the way to go this late in the season. For what it's worth I'll be at china Flat camping out of my gold honda odyssey. Swing by if you wanna...I owe you a beer for your tips.

I was up there the past two weekends giving a fly fishing lesson to a couple of neighbors. Two weeks ago wasn't too bad with good action on caddis and parachute adams. Last weekend the flows were much higher and made the fishing difficult. I checked on the website for the El Dorado Irrigation District and found that they are releasing water from Silver Lake for dam repairs through the end of October. The flows last week looked like early summer, which I suspect put the fish down. I'll be interested to hear how it looks today.

Phil

Default Silver Fork flow

Got back yesterday. The Fork was low and clear. The rain will probably change all that but it was all good while I was up there. In fact conditions were so that every hookup was one n done cuz it would spook all others in the vicinity.

water was great tonight. spooky fish. found me some browns. bent the 1wt to the cork weeeeeeeeee