Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MF Feather/Pit 5/McCloud?

if your headed to the pit check the flows first. there are supposed to be recreational whitewater flows scheduled for sat and sun in pit one. not sure about the other sections though.

I think OP is likely referring to Pitt 3-4-5 below Britton that is most commonly fished at the current minimum flows (~400 or so cfs in this type of year); it's been awhile since I read the new license.

But good pt......check the real time flows, if you can find them. Fly shops, at least the one in redding, will know for sure.

And if anyone has a schedule for the whitewater releases - that would be good to know also; and avoid fishing those days or soon afterwards either.

Default mccloud

Since i'm completely full of it and the small group of us who went down there Friday didnt catch anything i thought i would post this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mccloud.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	3707  

Quote Originally Posted by joshfish View Post
    if your headed to the pit check the flows first. there are supposed to be recreational whitewater flows scheduled for sat and sun in pit one. not sure about the other sections though.
    The white water releases this coming weekend are in the Pit 1 section only.

If you are interested in the realtime flows in Pit 4 and Pit 5, check out CDEC. The Gage code for Pit 4 is PR4 and the Gage code for Pit 5 is PRB.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/queryQuick.html
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME

Default McCloud

NICE fish on the McCloud!

Default Yeaaah right!

C4M you got small hands! That's a guppy. Most people use that for bait.

Sheesh.

Hey Cruzin,

Nice pig-ola! I guess the migration from Shasta to the McCloud has begun.

The adipose fin on that brown is HUGE. Fly and size? Throwin meat?

Thanks for the proof otherwise I wouldn't have believed it because not
    many fish have been caught there according to recent posts.

EO

That is one heck of a nice fish Cruzin. I could not help but notice your landing net though...it's an oder style thin mesh. If you are practicing catch and release it's beneficial to use a more fish friendly net. The slime coating on a trout is a very important disease protection barrier for the fish. Those older nets wreak havoc on this barrier as well as often damaging fins. Using a newer net with a rubber or coated nylon mesh bag greatly contributes to your released fish's longevitity prospects.

And amoeba, perhaps you need to go spend a day on the river with Cruz or Craig. My first thought with something like that would not be that it was the fishery's fault. I would wonder what those guys might know that I don't.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

methinks Amoeba is trying to fan the flames to keep people off the McCloud.

Default Mccloud/Pit Reports

Thanks guys, yeah that was sure a guppy alright. though i personally can't take credit for that fish, the photo is of my buddy that was with me, it's his fish. I just didn't like being called out by someone on the board that i was full of it so i posted the biggest fish landed. we hooked and landed quite a few browns in the 4-6lb range, myself included, so yeah it was fishing fairly well...funny thing was he hooked that fish at noon!

Rich...yeah i do practice catch and release and yes that big boy is still there to fight another day. We both have the standard mesh nets, his broke on the car ride up to the camping site and was in process of being glued back together, but not dry yet...the only net we could find in the fishing box was that old relic. that big dude was tailed by me as it certainly wasn't fitting in any net. 5-10 seconds out of the water for a quick picture, revived, and away he went.

Great trip...surprisingly enough we didn't see any slithery friends!