Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MF Feather/Pit 5/McCloud?

Default MF Feather/Pit 5/McCloud?

Have an annual extended weekend camping/flyfish trip with a couple out of town friends this weekend and I'm trying to decide between a few places. I could use some advice from anyone who has been out in the field lately. Any knowledge on how flows/hatches are coming along on these rivers with the recent rain and temp drops? Isonychia? October Caddis? Thanks.

I can't personally vouch for the fishing action, but recommend that you check out Shasta Trout for a quality report on the Pit and McCloud.

Best of luck!
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME

Default McCloud/Pit Reports

Fish Head, thanks for the recommendation.
    Pupa:
    I spent the entire last week on the McCloud, 6 days on the Bollibokka Club, one day on the Conservancy and one at Ah Di Nah. We've had some foul weather which changed conditions, including bumping up the flows significantly earlier in the week. Got the BWO's going and we enjoyed a few sessions of superb dry fly action along with some phenomenal nymphing. Big fish are again showing, including several 20+ inches this week!
    Fellow guide Alan Blankenship has been over on the Pit and says it is also fishing well. He reports some good action on the warmer days nymphing with caddis patterns. Mornings on both rivers have been slower than afternoons and early evenings.
    Wishing you the best of luck on your trip, feel free to drop a line for further details, best to catch me in the evening if you phone, I am guiding all week.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 10-10-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Craig Nielsen

Maybe the October caddis hatch is going on at thr Mccloud? Havent been there this year... i sure do miss it though

upper sac is fishy, with mostly smaller fish and some bigger ones. (typical) but as the fall changes come about it should be getting better. Steady flows and easy day time temperatures should make for great fishing all day long.

thanks for the report Craig. I too was wondering if the October Caddis have been eliciting any response on the river yet. I've been trying to catch this hatch for 10 years with no luck...

Also try called 'The Fly Shop' in Redding and the 'Ted Fay Fly Shop' in Dunsmuir.

The have anglers and guides in daily now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Nielsen View Post
    Fish Head, thanks for the recommendation.
    Pupa:
    I spent the entire last week on the McCloud, 6 days on the Bollibokka Club, one day on the Conservancy and one at Ah Di Nah. We've had some foul weather which changed conditions, including bumping up the flows significantly earlier in the week. Got the BWO's going and we enjoyed a few sessions of superb dry fly action along with some phenomenal nymphing. Big fish are again showing, including several 20+ inches this week!
    Fellow guide Alan Blankenship has been over on the Pit and says it is also fishing well. He reports some good action on the warmer days nymphing with caddis patterns. Mornings on both rivers have been slower than afternoons and early evenings.
    Wishing you the best of luck on your trip, feel free to drop a line for further details, best to catch me in the evening if you phone, I am guiding all week.
    Very nice of Craig to help out here..........thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Mccloud/Pit Reports

Was up fishing the pit/mccloud area this past thur-sun...pretty phenomenal fishing. The october Caddis were just starting so probably a little bit out yet before they get going. Hit some pretty big fish on the mccloud in certain areas (20"-30"), some big boys are definitely milling about. pit was just as good, but not quite the size (18"-22"). if you want a little more detail pm me.

Cheers

Default McCloud report - save gas and watch paint dry

Whatever Cruz and Craig caught "last week", I am betting it wasn't Friday - Monday:

I pounded the McCloud these days, and didn't see Craig there, and nobody produced much more than a few fish, if that. There aren't many October Caddis on the McCloud (or on the upper Sac, which I hit also), and the hatches of others like BWO's are thin and short, mainly confined to the evenings of the warmest days, like Saturday. But Friday-Sunday - it was chill cold in the morning, and close to zero action.

Threw the kitchen sink out there - and covered all the water up and downstream of Ah-Di-Nah and the Conservancy; I can't say there were no rises, but very few. 3 strikes and all fish landed. Nothing on nymphs. Not many other fishermen seen, but we were not alone (campground about 1/2 full) - and those we saw and talked to didn't do much better. The place, which had a below average weekend crowd (still a fair number, tho) - understandably emptied out early and completely, before noon sunday, well before the end of the weekend - if that tells you anything.

Even on the Saturday, there 5/10 tags available at the conservancy, where we did land the largest fish on an orange stimulator (14"). Most of the rising fish seen were disappointingly smaller than the bait at Wild Sports, not 20"+, you'll be lucky if you get a 10 incher.

Nothing phenomenal about the McCloud fishing - unless it is the contrast between my report and the other's on this thread. I would definitely pass on the McCloud...maybe try the Pitt (or upper Sac if you can't deal with aggressive wading at 400 cfs). There is hardly anyone fishing it with the improved flows - I haven't seen a soul there this year on the water I fish.

These things change with weather that just came through, but not necessarily for the better. Personally, my honest recc is to pass. If you want to do something more exciting than the McCloud, spend less gas and watch paint dry. The upper Sac is slightly better, albeit more busy, the Pitt I don't have a current report - but it almost certainly going to have less people and, hopefully, better fishing than the McCloud.
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.