Thread: Carson Pass Fall Colors

Default Carson Pass Fall Colors

I am planning on heading up hwy 88 this fall when the aspens change to enjoy some fall colors. If anyone is fishing up that way this weekend, I would appreciate any color reports. Thanks.

Phil

Default I cannot speak for Carson Pass

But I was over Tioga Pass/ Mammoth Lks. area last week and honestly all I saw were only some patches of Yellow. Surprisingly most aspens were still green even in first week of October! Tells you we had one hell of a winter last year. Probably the same at altitude 8,000-10,000 ft no matter where you go. Normally you start seeing some brilliant Orange/Red by this time. Everything is a month off in my opinion.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I was up there Friday. There was a foot of snow at Kirkwood and a few inches at Hope Valley thats surely melted by today. The aspen is just starting to turn at Sorensons. Not Yet at Carson Pass or upper Hope Valley. It was below freezing at night at the end of last week so I bet the leaves will turn soon.

The water temp at ICR dropped 7 degrees in a week and the fish were off the bite

I just came home (Fair Oaks) from Heenan and there was very little color showing...a touch of yellow so give it at least a week!!!
    BTW Heenan was fishing OK...in three hours during the middle of the day = four fish to 25" and some other grabs!

Thanks for the reports guys. It sounds like next weekend might be good, or at the following weekend. If anyone gets up there later this week, please let me know.

Fished the Carson below Hangmans Bridge a couple weeks ago. My brother landed about 20 or so and my dad and I scratched 1 fish out between us. I did miss a couple nice fish though but I guess I gave my brother the hot fly. Some of his fish were in the 18" range mine was about 14". Saw a lot of fish working with mayflies, caddis and some october caddis coming off the water.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

A whole lotta white with a dash of fluorescence at the end of last week. Was surprised how much of a freeze the lakes were in. Should be mostly gone with the nicer weather.
    10/6