Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagle Lake ?

Jon, thanks for the information. I have fished that area of the lake very close to the shore from a boat and done very well. Wish the speed limit was 90mph so it would only take me about 6 hours to get there instead of 10 or 12 with a boat.

I had some great sight fishing at Crowley for awhile, long cast 50 to 70 feet with small perch patterns into 2 to 3 feet of water and just strip your fly at warp speed to trigger those fish feeding in the stickups on the small perch fry. These fish would straighten your arm out and try to take the rod out of your hand when they took the perch pattern. Fish from 18" to 23" flying out of the water when they are hooked. Very exciting and I would take 5 fish like that compared to 20 on the indicator but you have to fish the conditions that you get.

Thanks again,

Ernie
    Last edited by catch&release; 10-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Default Addicted to the grab

Quote Originally Posted by catch&release View Post
    Jon, thanks for the information. I have fished that area of the lake very close to the shore from a boat and done very well. Wish the speed limit was 90mph so it would only take me about 6 hours to get there instead of 10 or 12 with a boat.

I had some great sight fishing at Crowley for awhile, long cast 50 to 70 feet with small perch patterns into 2 to 3 feet of water and just strip your fly at warp speed to trigger those fish feeding in the stickups on the small perch fry. These fish would straighten your arm out and try to take the rod out of your hand when they took the perch pattern. Fish from 18" to 23" flying out of the water when they are hooked. Very exciting and I would take 5 fish like that compared to 20 on the indicator but you have to fish the conditions that you get.

Thanks again,

Ernie
    I hear you Ernie.....if the conditions are there, i'll be stripping a fly in skinny water for that GRAB.

Jon,

Have you fished Eagle yet or is it too soon for you.

Some go in October for some early action but most go in November with a few die hards braving December's cold.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ernie,

I have yet to fish Eagle this fall, but my man T-Dog is out there all the time. Right now fish are bangin bait balls in the middle basin. He,s been catching them but the best is yet to come. Your gonna want a lead free tui chub pattern for the skinny water and a heavy one when fishing off in the boat or the tube. Of all the lakes on the planet, Eagle will always be known to me as "Holy Water"!

Bill is spot on with the best months, and he's right about brave souls in Dec. Last closure it was -10 degrees, freezing fog, and shore ice all around us. That's the coldest I've been ever while fishing. Brutal,..... but when you catch a few, you warm right up.

Jon.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 10-10-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Default when?

jon we gotta get in touch im ready to go! call me. Fishing has been really good in the local waters!

JoeBob,

Things are good here as well, your dad would be so proud of me - Been fishing the dry at Davis in the skinny water and getting good results! Talk to ya soon - Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.