Thread: Stillwater 101 Fuller Lake 9/24

Default Stillwater 101 Fuller Lake 9/24

Just planted and some good reports led us to Fuller lake last Saturday.

Today's lesson for me
    was
    1. Get waders that don't have a small leak!! Even though the water temp was 58 I spent a lot of time shivering and only my socks were wet.

2. Sometimes the fish gods aren't on your side.

Now to the report.... Fuller another beautiful lake just off 80 and we were there at about 6:30 in the morning and Scott got a bite on his second or third cast. Then he got a fish on about his fifth. Seemed like all day everytime I looked in Scotts direction I saw this...

I did catch a couple and LDR'd a few more

but no where near the success of Scott and others.

Even an osprey caught a fish near me but he suffered like I did when he LDR'd to a bald eagle.

In the afternoon Mike form the board arrived with a couple of friends and he proceeded to catch about 20 or so before we left. His friends newer to flyfishing got some tips from Scott and proceeded to out fish me in only a couple of minutes including a 18"+ brown that I am hoping they post a photo of.

Oh well maybe next time the gods will like me better. I still cant complain. Good company, beautiful scenery an eagle and I caught 2 fish, a few weeks ago I would have been thrilled but when your buddy catches 30 and LDR's another10 you know there is still lots to learn.

Thanks again to Scott and his family for putting up with me and making this trip easier.
    Now to find some new waders for next time.
    Last edited by kokaneejr; 09-30-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: photo double post
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Nice post.....cool photos too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice shots Koke.

I'm still waiting to see the whole show, where the Eagle steals the trout from the Osprey.

I've seen that bent rod before.

If you're rigged up the same as Scott then I'd say toss all dignity aside and kick over by him (like 2 feet away) and watch intently. He's definitely doing something different than you and sometimes it's difficult to a. either explain it to someone or b. pick out what it is your friend is doing different.

Take note of tempo, time lapsed(or not) while the fly sinks, speed and length of the strips themselves. Is he moving while stripping?All these details matter.

Scotts a good teacher, but like all of us he's very instinctual about his fishing, he's doing more than he can explain.

Take it from someone who long ago tossed the dignity. It does pay off.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I can only say that I have parked myself between Ed and Scott and still caught nothing...... talk about losing dignity! Scott is great to have around to give pointers and sometimes it is best to just watch. Bill

This was a trip that will never be forgotten. To see a bald eagle dive bomb an osprey with a fish was freaking amazing. You could see the ospreys eyes once it noticed what was on its tail. It was cartoonish, it just didn't seem real, it was like I was seeing it in slo motion. Now as for the fishing, it was real tough you have to know how to work the fly and it is almost impossible to explain how I caught them. In time Craig you will get the feel, you are coming along faster than I did in stillwater. I hated stillwater fishing for the longest time til I finally figured it out. But then there will always be days where no matter what you do they just won't bite your fly. For me it is now only about the moment of being out there with friends enjoying nature in alls it's glory, and if I catch a fish it is just a bonus!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>