Thread: Putah Creek

Default Putah Creek

I have an new appreciation for those of you who fish this creek, or any creek for that matter! I stopped by here on my way back from work in the bay area and man I got beat up. Between the rocks, trees, slippery rocks, and deep water I was having a great time! Beautiful weather and a great afternoon though. Unfortunately I have no fish pictures because there were none caught but hey...first time fishing there is my excuse.

ownfl4g,

Putah is a tough creek to fish especially in summer. It will get better in fall, keep an eye on flows. To catch fish here I had to learn how to use a small #18-#22 nymph and weight it to bump the bottom. Only a few times did I ever catch fish with dries. Practice your roll casts and check out the Putah Creek Fly-fishing site for tips from the experts. They will usually help you out. Good Luck.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Yep, and the weeds in the water pretty much have you cleaning your flies after every drift. Putah is where I learned, pretty much every other stream is a cake walk.

-Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by PMD View Post
    Yep, and the weeds in the water pretty much have you cleaning your flies after every drift. Putah is where I learned, pretty much every other stream is a cake walk.

-Taylor
    Ditto. Putah makes you believe that tiny flies in low visibility water can actually catch fish.

I feel blessed to have actually caught a fish on the putah (and a 19 inch rainbow at that) Props to those guys who fish there successfully. It's a fragile system. Always good to pick up some extra trash there and help inform others about the redds if necessary.

I will say, that it's not a top destination for me anymore cuz I haven't gotten spanked that hard since my mom heard me say "shit" for the first time.

www.putahcreekflyfishing.com

Careful what you say on that forum. easy to start a war

I also underestimated the temperature of the water and left my waders in the truck, it wasn't super cold but still a tad chilly for shorts. Also was a little sketchy with the weird guy living down there with his dog...he sort of lingered while I fished.

Flows are coming down to wadable levels and the fishing has been good for many, with a lot of small fish reported by surveys (a sign the fish are coming back from the put/take beating they used to get). All the above posts are accurate as to the difficulties of getting around and locating the fish-its particularly tough on new FF-and the sometimes passionate political tone of some threads on the forum. That said, there is alot of helpful info on how to fish the Creek

Heritage and Wild Trout are evaluating the Creek for possible inclusion in the Wild Trout program. FF can help this process move forward by fishing the Creek and reporting the result by completing a survey form, either at the DFG boxes in the Hiway 128 bridge parking lots, or online at www.putahcreekflyfishing.com Right now, these surveys are the main source of data collection for DFG.

We hope you will head west and try to hook up with fish that are up to 30''. Its the best thing you can do for this recovering fishery.