Thread: Highway 88 or 49 Tomorrow?

Default Highway 88 or 49 Tomorrow?

With the weather taking a turn for the worse next week, I decided to take off work tomorrow and head to the mountains. I am considering heading up Hwy 88 to hit some small streams and perhaps the E or W Carson, or going up Hwy 49 along the North Yuba. Any thoughts on the best option would be appreciated. I have fished along the Yuba and it's tribs only once, and while I go up to the Carson pass area often, I have never fished the east Carson. Thanks.

Phil

Just remember they are still doing work on 88 near Carson pass with possible hour+ long wait.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Luther Pass, Hwy 89, is not much better with one-way traffic.

I was at Woods Lake on Monday. Fishing was pretty good to lots of risers. The outlet creek is still full of planters and easy pickings. Fun.

We did go over Carson Pass late in the day, after they shut down the construction, and the W Carson is getting pretty skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by chemdoc View Post
    With the weather taking a turn for the worse next week, I decided to take off work tomorrow and head to the mountains. I am considering heading up Hwy 88 to hit some small streams and perhaps the E or W Carson, or going up Hwy 49 along the North Yuba. Any thoughts on the best option would be appreciated. I have fished along the Yuba and it's tribs only once, and while I go up to the Carson pass area often, I have never fished the east Carson. Thanks.

Phil
    I'd choose NF Yuba, for no other reason than I haven't been up there in a while.

I fished and camped along the N. Yuba at exactly this time last year and we (inadvertently) hit the October Caddis just right. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I believe most were hatchery fish (stubby fins). Due to the high flows all summer this year, that hatch might be a little later this October. We also fished Paulie Creek, which reminded me of a famous Pennsylvania freestone called Slate Run with its slate formations, pocket water and pools. I booked the same campground mid-October this year and will post a report.

Ya, I'd hit the NF Yuba. Lotsa options. Below Downieville, above Downieville (Hospital bridge), Lavezzola, Pauley creek...or you can drive up to Sierra City. Good pocket water abounds.

EO

I hit the North Yuba last weekend. Lots of small fish taking dries. The trophy of the weekend was a whopping 8 inches.

It seemed that the most productive water was between Downieville and the beginning of the wild trout section. I caught all my fish on the surface. The trout weren't picky--any well presented dry fly worked. I used Buzz Hackles, Renegades, Adams, and EC Caddis in sizes 14 to 16. If you head up stick to the riffles and pocket-water. Fish holding in the runs and pools are extremely spooky due to the river being low and clear.

As of last Sunday, there were no October Caddis hatching--but they're under the rocks getting ready to go.

My 2¢: Hit the East Walker. Hopper-chompin' hogs await!