Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: other board

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Please Ralph my pm box is busy enough and we get enough phone calls in regards to people not playing nice as it is
    Just forward their PM's to me.

I'll make sure to have a "chat" with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
    Just forward their PM's to me.

I'll make sure to have a "chat" with them.
    pm rontele

oh lawd could our newest member be the slofly?

Hello all you thilly thavages out there. I couldn't help but interject into this discussion.

The NCFFB was one heck of a ride - we had a ball. What killed it? It was the combination of the POS new board software and a bunch of whining crybabies that needed to be in control of the content. They wore GM down to a nub with their constant complaining about posts that "they" didn't feel were appropriate. Well, they got their wish. They censored the board right out of existence. Shoot, they censored poor GM out of existence. Of those jerkwads, I can only think of one that ever participated in our "Bash" events. The rest were lurkers. Once they ran those of us who actually kept the board running off to better riffles, there wasn't anyone left to organize the raffles, get hats made, put on rod building clinics, etc.... All that is left now is chirping crickets.

What most people don't understand is that we, for the most part, knew each other from meeting in person at our different "BASH" events. A lot of the flaming was done in jest - not all, but a good percentage. The kind of banter you hear when friends get together. Well, guy friends that is. You never hear gals thrashing each other's family lineage.

Those not part of the "good percentage" usually came in looking for a thrashing and usually got it. They were usually the ones that took everything personally and felt that they "HAD" to read something if it was posted.

Skirt for example - he ruffled a lot of feathers. Nobody was forced to read his posts. If you don't like it don't read it! I guess that was too simple for those rocket scientists. As I think back, I can't remember anyone that actually participated in a bash, mini-bash, rod bash, etc... getting the "Don't let the keyboard hit you on the way out" line.

I made a lot of good friends and learned a lot about this sport from the NCFFB. It was the precursor to today's social media frenzy. I don't think the board would be as successful in today's media overload. It had its time and place. Sure glad it was there!

Slo
    People came, people left. No board was no different than life itself.

It's all your fault.

briansII

YCF is spot on. It was a lot of fun until the moderators f---ed things up. Those who couldn't hang are a little thin skinned. There might have even been a spin off board or two too.

It sure was (is) a tough job being Eyetalian! Hey Slo?!

So many of you are writing as if the Other Board is Dead. Wrong!!! Some fishing reports are being posted, friends are continuing conversations and meetings. All are invited. So far there hasn't been much flaming but, then again, those perpetual whiners that seemed to be present before are absent by their lack of participation. The NCFFB will continue, at least for a while. I will continue to post reports, information about flies, rods, etc. Expect others will also carry the ball. If not, well, so be it. I hear a lot of negativism but I have to ask myself if a lot of the verbosity isn't just people patting themselves on the back to make themselves feel good.

Ya know UC - if sex with 3 people is a threesome and sex with 2 is a twosome, I now know why they call you handsome.......

How's that for a positive spin???

You are absolutely correct sir - the NCFFB is not dead. Our association was not the board, it is the friendship that we all share from that board. The board won't be dead until we're all on the other side of the grass.

I read some mention of our partner Hud a few posts back. I think about Hud just about every day. That man was a class act and will never be replaced. For those of you that didn't know Hud - here is something he wrote tongue in cheek a few years back:

Originally Posted: Friday June 30th, 2000

OK, now you guys gotta remember that I have no idea about tying flies. I didn't know what dubbing was. Ribbing??? What is hackle? I thought peacock was used for a uniform for go-go dancers. You mean I gotta tie knots? Ok as long as it is a triple surgeon. I honestly though our friend "Duke of Hurl" was so named cause he could throw up on command. I am green!!!

Now I got this book a few days ago. The thing that impressed me about this book is that it had a chapter on bodies, a chapter on tails, wings, dubbing hackle ribbing and all that stuff. When it came time to tie a fly, they didn't just say "OK add some muskrat dubbing". They had already told me what it was and how to do it. All you had to do was refer back. I read this book in the mid day and evenings (when I shoulda been fishin a caddis hatch…rookie) so I figure I got it covered. I'm gonna tie a fly. Since I had pretty good luck on an Adams (and the book choose this pattern to tie) I was gonna make an ADAMS. I will kick tail.

OK outside where the light is good, got my glasses on, got the stuff that a friend gave me, got the brown and grizzly hackle and dubbing I bought, I am ready. Maybe just 1 Jim Beam and Coke to settle my hands.

Chapter one, put the hook in the vise… Got it done. 1 sip of Beam. Start thread, apply equal pressure and wind thread over the top and towards the eye… BOING Where'd the hook go. I applied equal pressure so it must have gone either straight up or straight down. 1 sip of Beam. There it is. How could it land in there. Oh well it will sink and I will get it out after I finish this drink. Get another hook. Who cares I got 98 of those babies left.

Got the hook in the vise and the thread started forward and back, trimmed excess, this ain't so hard. Equal "easy" pressure. I got this. Tie on 2 hackle point wings as shown on page 64. The wind had blown my book to the glossery while I was looking for that danged first hook. Page 64 …OK wrap here, figure 8 and wrap here. I got that. A sip of Beam. How is this bug gonna fly with one wing going to the front and the other to the right??? Big deal. The wings are out of the water anyway. Fish don't care. Just twist them a little. There perfect. A sip of Beam.

Tail??? That chapter never said that I had to hold grizzly and brown hackle at the same time and tie on separate sides of the hook. Remove some of the hackle from each color. The dad-gum brown hackle doesn't have long enough sections to make a tail. Oh well the grizzly does. It looks cooler anyway. Tail is on. Sip of Beam.

OK this dubbing looks easy. Wait, nobody ever said anything about wax. I gotta have wax? I ain't quittin now, where is the Vaseline?? There dubbing on, even twisted it all the same way . Wind it forward almost to where the wings are. Wait the thread is forward of the wings. How did it get there. Musta been the wind. OK there wind on the dubbing. Perfect. Sip of Beam.

Alright, all I gotta do is put on the hackle. Book says to get the correct length of hackle from each color. CORRECT LENGTH??? Yea right. THERE, THAT LOOKS RIGHT. Take that, NO FEAR. A BIG SIP OF BEAM. Strip off some at the bottom (I'm lovin that instruction) and tie facing back at a 30 degree angle. Yeah right. Me and Beam really know what a 30 degree angle is. That looks 30 degrees. Hurry and tie it before you change your mind. Perfect!!! Wrap the brown hackle 3 times behind and 3 times in front of the wings. That shouldn't be so tough. OOOPPPSS. That wing wasn't layin down a minute ago. A sip of Beam. Man this thing is lookin good. Tie it off (what a knot Beam and I made) and add cement. CEMENT no chapter ever said anything about cement. I gotta have some super glue here somewhere. I get up from my chair… WWOOOOOAAAA, I musta had more Beam than I thought. Here is some Super glue. A drop here… perfect. A sip of Beam and take it out of the vise.

ADAMS huh. Yeah right. Finish my Beam. UH OH where is that hook.

My wife hollars out side, Hud have you seen the glue from my finger nail kit. Not now woman, I gotta tie another of these Adams. Right after I make me one more Beam and coke!!!!!!!!!!!

Hud

Hope this brings back some good memories of Steve from those of you lucky enough to have made his acquaintence.

Thlo

Sure good to see William Lightkeeper posting again!

Brings back good memories Thlo! Duh-hur!