Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Near Boise Idaho

Thanks again everyone for the information. Went to the high desert in nearby Eastern Oregon. The fishing was pretty unbelievable. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so didn't get any pictures, but thought you may enjoy a report anyway. Got there around 4pm saturday afternoon and drove the road looking for risers.....and there were plenty. Weather was in the low 70s and sunny. Bugs were coming off everywhere...midges, mayflies, and a few caddis. Matching the hatch was a bit tough so I swung a caddis emerger and that was all that was needed. Risers were all over and the fish were definitely on the grab. Seems like it got dark around 7.30 so for the last 30 minutes I threw a mouse and went 1 for 3 before calling it. Next day, Sunday headed back in the morning. Thunderstorm rolled through in the morning so I drove around a bit to check the river. Caught a few in between showers on a slick throwing size 20-22 midges. Then waited out a bit more lightning. Around 10:30 lightning stopped so I went out on a nice curve with a cut bank. Showers stopped for a short bit and fish were rising to BWO's and midges. Caught a lot of smaller fish, and it started raining which turned off the risers so I switched to streamers....and never changed back. Threw big sculpin and articulated streamers for the rest of the day. It was pretty unbelievable fishing as most of the streamer fish were 16-18" with a couple of 20 inchers thrown in. Broke my rod on a fish at 2pm and called it a day . Other than that, saw a bald eagle, coyote in the morning and a rattlesnake on Saturday. All in all-a great day and half of fishing a small desert river. All of the fish I caught were browns.....and none of them fought like the sacto river rainbows.
    Thanks again everyone for the information. Since I forgot the camera this trip, here's a pic from earlier this summer.....

one more try