Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop versus Jet

Default Prop versus Jet

I totally understand that there's no perfect fly fishing boat but I'm looking for either the Lowe or G3 16' boat to fish:

1. Stillwater (50% of the time)

2. Delta (35% of the time) and

3. Shallow rivers with obstacles (15%)

I currently own a driftboat with an 8 hp to putt around along with a 10' pram but I'll be shopping next spring for an additional boat for the above conditions. I understand the pluses and minuses with determining between a prop versus jet. Given the type of fishing I'll be doing, it appears a prop makes the most sense but I'm just checking to see if I'm not considering something else to influence my decision to go "jet".

Thanks in advance...

I would reccomend you buy a jet with a bay kit. That way you have both. Several of my friends have them. The bay kit allows you to change between a prop and a jet in about an hour. http://www.baymfg.com/

Default great option

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this particular OEM existed but I can see this being a situation of "having my cake and eat it too"....

Wonderful solution...

Default pump or prop.

Hi Terry
    You should check Sutter Marine they can set you up with the G3 with a prop. and a jack plate for a jet pump best of both worlds.I have had boats set up this way it takes about 1/2 an hour to change it over from prop. to pump if your handy with tools.
    Jim May

Terry,

Lots of good info here.....

Go see Brian @ Sutter Marine.

He has set up dozens or our friends with nice boats, mostly jet outboards.

Having one go from jet to prop is the way to go.

The Lowe and G3 all welded aluminum boats are very similar but Brian can get better pricing on the G3 because it is owned by Yamaha and the package prices are better.

Be sure Brian will be there when you go to check them out.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

i ran a g3 1652 vbw with a 40/30 yamaha jet all summer in alaska. amazing boat. AMAZING.

Also consider just going with a jet. You may find yourself spending more than 15% of your time on skinny water, if only because you'll discover new water that you (and other prop-bound souls) previously couldn't get to. The cost, minor drop in performance, and occasional gripe of pulling weeds or leaves or gravel out of the intake is MORE than made up by not having to ever worry about losing a prop or lower unit! If I had to switch between prop and jet every time I wanted to go fishing, I think I'd wade instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ptychocheilus View Post
    Also consider just going with a jet. You may find yourself spending more than 15% of your time on skinny water, if only because you'll discover new water that you (and other prop-bound souls) previously couldn't get to. The cost, minor drop in performance, and occasional gripe of pulling weeds or leaves or gravel out of the intake is MORE than made up by not having to ever worry about losing a prop or lower unit! If I had to switch between prop and jet every time I wanted to go fishing, I think I'd wade instead.
    This is a good post....

A jet will let you fish many Nor Cal rivers for trout, steelhead, salmon, stripers and smallmouth bass.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default jet

I bought a lowe jon boat a few years ago and had similar thoughts about switching from pump to prop depending on what type of water I'd be fishing. I had the jack plate put on the transom so it would be easy to switch over. Since I have had the boat I have never switched over to the prop. I use the boat mostly for river running, but also enjoy bass fishing on the lake. The pump is fine for the lake, or any other place I would use a prop. It is definitely not as fast as the prop, but not that big of a deal to me. Going with the pump just makes your boat more versatile. Also, going with the jon boat is a great move! They can do so much, really a blast.

Default Here ya go, Terry!

From Craigslist: Near new Tracker 1654 Honda 50/35 jet with warranty 'til 2014. Center console, Minn Kota, looks really nice and clean. Asking $11K. Not bad for an opener. The only thing better IMO would be a Lowe vs. Tracker and etec power, but this is a nice package. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2624382201.html