Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee River One-fly Tournament (OCT 1, 2011)

Default Truckee River One-fly Tournament (OCT 1, 2011)

The Truckee River One-fly Tournament is back for the 3rd year and better than ever!

Registration starts October 1st at 8am at Bibo Coffee Co. on Record Street in Reno.

Please reserve your spot today so we can order the appropriate amount of food and divide the river appropriately. Checks can be written to UNR AFS and are eligible for a tax deduction. Contact Jason Barnes for more information <flyfishtruckee@yahoo.com>.

This year we will feature an open class for guides, professionals and anglers that want to pit their skills against the best in the area for top honors. We will also have a class for non-professionals with great prizes for the top 13 finishers. Check it out!

1) Orvis Rod - Hydros 9’6” 6wt.
    2) Orvis Rod - Access 10’ 5wt.
    3) Orvis Rod - Clearwater 8’6 4wt.
    4) Orvis Reel - Hydros 7-8 wt.
    5) Orvis Reel - Mid Arbor 5-6 wt.
    6) Orvis Reel – Bar Stock 3-4 wt.
    7) Orvis Rod Case – Safe Passage Carry-it-all Rod Case
    8) Orvis Reel Case – Safe Passage Large Reel Case
    9) Orvis Chest Pack – Safe Passage Sling Pack
    10) Orvis Chest Pack – Safe Passage Trout’s Flat Waist Pack
    11) Orvis Chest Pack – Safe Passage Vertical Chest Pack
    12) Orvis Wader Tote – Safe Passage Large Wader Tote
    13) Orvis Reel Case – Safe Passage Small Reel Tote

For the top finisher in the pro-class we will have a hand-carved trophy and your name will go on a plaque to be proudly displayed in the Reno Orvis store. The top amateur receives a trophy and the Hydros rod.

For a $50 donation you get a shot at these great prizes, plus a dinner provided by Outback Steakhouse and drinks! As always, all of the proceeds from this tournament will go right back into local conservation efforts courtesy of the new UNR American Fisheries Society student subunit. It's a no lose situation.

Also new for this year is the fact that we will open it up to the whole Nevada side of the river after noon on the tournament day. Fish your randomly assigned section from the reservation to the state line until noon and then fish your own secret spot until 5 p.m.. Then come enjoy food and drinks with the rest of the group at the Reno Orvis store.

For more information, visit our website (www.asunclubs.orgsync.com/org/unrafs) if you find that the link is broken, just google "UNR AFS" and click on the second link.
    Last edited by Flyfishtruckee; 09-28-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Broken link

So glad to see this happening again! This is a great event with lots of good people and some healthy competition and a fantastic list of prizes.

I'm looking forward to attending and helping out the UNR American Fisheries Society chapter. Can't wait!

Mike
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

Default Still opportunity...

There is still room for more in the tournament. As of now we only have 9 confirmed for the tournament.

Thanks for the kind words Mike!

what are the rules to the tournament, are you only allowed one fly, because that would be cool and how do you determine a winner?
    got'a'boat (the man in the red pontoon)

Default Re: rules and strategy

Quote Originally Posted by steelheadsicko View Post
    what are the rules to the tournament, are you only allowed one fly, because that would be cool and how do you determine a winner?
    One fly. You lose it, you're out. The fun comes in choosing a pattern that you can fish all day and you are willing to bet it all on. Also, the biggest fish (trout) wins the grand prize and 1st place goes to the highest score (inches plus bonus for fish over 1. So do you throw a streamer and go for big fish, or nymph and try to get as many fish as possible with the chance of hooking the big one? Not to mention tippett strength. There is a lot of strategy involved and it makes it fun. You focus so hard on fishing and not losing your fly and landing every fish that the days over pretty quick. I feel like it makes you a better fisherman too. Hope to see some CA representation this year.

Yes, you get one fly only. Not one pattern but one individual fly for the whole day. Lose it and you're done.

Winner, of course, is based on the size and number of fish caught!

Mike
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

FlyJack51 Guest

Flyfishtruckee pm sent

flyfishtruckee---I went to the website you noted. I'm confused; I received an e-mail from Orvis Reno.

Who is the prime sponsor of this event; UNR American Fisheries Society, OrgSync or Orvis?

If OrgSync is this event a student project?

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...too bad the waters fished are restricted to the Nevada-side of the border; I may have been interested. The local fly fishing group sponored such an event years ago...it was a whole lot of fun.

Default Re: Sponsor

Frank,

Orvis is the sponsor as they are the provider of prizes, UNR AFS is the organization putting the event together and OrgSync is merely the site that hosts the website for UNR AFS. You are correct in that this event is a student run event, but that is merely a necessary component of making this a non-profit event that gets younger people involved in a school devoid of a fisheries program. As far as California goes, this event has traditionally been limited to McCarran Ranch, so opening the tournament to the whole Nevada side is a step in the right direction. I know you have a ton of connections, so if you want to work with me in making this an inter-state event, I would be more than happy to do that. Send me an email at flyfishtruckee@yahoo.com.

flyfishtruckee---I went to the website you noted. I received info on this event via an e-mail-forward from Orvis Reno.

Who is the prime sponsor of this event; UNR American Fisheries Society, OrgSync or Orvis?

If OrgSync, is this event a student project?

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...too bad the waters fished are restricted to the Nevada-side of the border; I may have been interested. The local fly fishing group sponored such an event years ago...it was a whole lot of fun.