Thread: Truckee area small streams

Default Truckee area small streams

I am flying into Reno tomorrow for a conference but have Sunday through Wednesday to fish before the work stuff. I plan on driving up to Truckee and getting a hotel. I am going to fish the Truckee and maybe the Little Truckee if the flows pick up.

I really like to fish smaller streams though. I was wondering about the steams up around Sagehen and Independence Creek as well as Prosser. How is public access and more importantly, how is the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Boy View Post
    I am flying into Reno tomorrow for a conference but have Sunday through Wednesday to fish before the work stuff. I plan on driving up to Truckee and getting a hotel. I am going to fish the Truckee and maybe the Little Truckee if the flows pick up.

I really like to fish smaller streams though. I was wondering about the steams up around Sagehen and Independence Creek as well as Prosser. How is public access and more importantly, how is the fishing?

You could drive N on 89 and turn off (left) at Jackson Meadows Res Rd. The creek that flows through Perazzo Meadows (on the left side of the road) is gorgeous and seems to be quite fishable most times I've been there. (deer season)
    Most people fish at an old diversion dam (you'll see it from the road), but I usually go above that area. Lots of small fish, but still fun, and you can't beat the scenery.

This is from 3 years ago:

Mid October, my favorite time of year in this area. It was an odd year, the Aspen leaves haden't turned yet.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Thanks Walt. I looked at that stream on google earth. It looks like it takes on kind of a spring creek look as it gets up to Weber Lake. Is that the case? Regardless, it looks like a great place.

BB, There is some water in the creeks still, but not too much.
    Seasonally, it's time to fish the T.
    The small water was absolutely pounded this year due to bigger flows in the main river this spring.
    The upper river is boney enough to satisfy a small creek guy, but might produce something longer than your hand.....
    I'd fish in the canyon for best results. Bigger fish...
    Enjoy your time here!
    PM, if need be....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 09-24-2011 at 09:24 AM.

This time of year the creeks can be tough, especially mid day. Still, at low light, when the suns off the water, the little trout usually come out of hiding and you can pick up a few fish. Head up north on 89 and youll cross 4 or 5 and they all have trout and are worth exploring, just dont judge them by how they fish mid day! Maybe try Sagehen or Haypress creek. Or like others have stated, the Upper Little Truckee. If you get the chance, stop by West River Fly Shop in Truckee and either me or Andy can point out some of the creeks on a map for you if you have the time.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 09-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Dan,
    Someone suggested your shop to me in a PM. I'll stop by in the morning. You guys open at 9' right?

BB, Walt is the author of the quote.

You can call me Mike.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Boy View Post
    Dan,
    Someone suggested your shop to me in a PM. I'll stop by in the morning. You guys open at 9' right?
    yep 9:00-5:00oclock, 7 days a week until we shut down for the winter at the end of October. For mid summer we were running 9:00-6:00, but shortened the hours for the quieter fall once we got a good deal into September.

(PS, sry for being so late on the reply, sometimes Im lazy and just check whats on the top page on these forums.)