Thread: Headed to Dunsmuir in our new RV today.....

Default Headed to Dunsmuir in our new RV today.....

Maybe I will actually catch a nice wild Rainbow trout up there on the Upper Sac?

Will stop by the Ted Fay Fly Shop to see Bob Grace.

Should be cooling off some tomorrow.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sounds like fun Bill. Watch out for Sunday, possibility of rain.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Default Should be good fun and lots or big fish

Travel safe. Don't let the threat of rain change your plans. At this time of year rain will only improve the fishing. There are lots of big fish, 15 to 20 inchers, from Gibson road on down to the Lake. Not to mention the big planters in the Dunsmuir area.....

They don't seem to be too picky either, try different sizes of birds nest in olive and tan.

Default Upper Sac

Dunsmuir and above, dry-dropper, tight lining or indicator rigs all work. As Bob Grace will tell you, Little Black S#$, ie small nymphs, Dark Lords and S&Ms. Moderate mayfly hatches in the evening on the upper river last week, a smaller yellow humpy was doing the trick. A couple October caddis spotted, but nothing to get excited about yet. Maybe an October wet or nymph would do it?

Just as others have mentioned, nice fish in the lower river. Here's my dad with a wild one - he reports that swinging nymphs and soft hackles was the ticket:
    Last edited by KJE; 09-23-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Talking New R.V.

...and a sharp looking rig it is Bill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hbrv.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	3615  

Default Drop a line

Bill:
    Drop a line if you get the message and would like some company. I am guiding the Lower Sac tomorrow, but have Sunday free.
    Fished the Upper Sac on Thursday with first time visitors to the area and had the best day of the season on the USac so far, including a big Rainbow a bit over 20 inches. Most fish came on small nymphs, both under and indicator and a dry. Bob's Grace's soft hackle PT was the fly of the day.
    Craig Nielsen

How's the Fred Gordon RV Park?

You forget how nice it is up here in Dunsmuir.

http://dunsmuir.com/index.php

We parked our motor home in local guide Fred Gordon's yard, right on the river. Hooked up to some of the best water in the world.

www.fredgordon.net

Fred has been really busy guiding every day. On the Upper Sac and McCloud Rivers wading plus in his boat on McCloud Reservoir. Today he had clients down in Redding on the Lower Sacramento River.

Visited Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop. All is well but sad that old Joe Kimsey is gone.

http://www.tedfay.com/

Yesterday Mark Merill took me down to the lower river below Dunsmuir where we landed some nice wild Rainbows on dries.

I took my old Fenwick fiberglass fly rod - FF805 (8' #5 line in 2 pc) with an old Pflueger Medalist 1494 fly reel.....lots of fun.

Last night we all went to dinner at Cafe Maddalena. We had some very nice food and Ron Rabun brought some special wine too.

http://www.cafemaddalena.com/

We had a cabin up here right across the street from Fred for about 10 years and now wonder why we sold it???

Little cabins up here are so cheap now that if you ever wanted one it is the time.

http://chriskutzkeyrealtors.7023613....0&qi3=0&corp=1

It just sprinkled up here......fall is coming fast.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunmuir Sept 24 2011 001 copy.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	3623  
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I took my old Fenwick fiberglass fly rod - FF805 (8' #5 line in 2 pc) with an old Pflueger Medalist 1494 fly reel.....lots of fun.

Gotta love "old school".
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.