Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Caught a hawk...

Awesome!

I had a similar experience when I was 15, growing up on a cattle ranch in Colorado. One of our hired hands came to the house when i was the only one home. He asked if I had a shotgun, I said of course, then he said " Well you better grab it, theres a hawk south of the house that has a broken wing, and you oughta put it out of its misery."

Grabbed my 20ga and went in search of it. When I got out there what a I found was not a hawk, but a Peregrine falcon trying to take off from a prairie dog city. It seemed pretty obvious to me that it wasnt a broken wing, but something else.

Since it was a Peregrine, I decided that a mercy kill was an absolute last resort. Some friends of ours operated a wild animal rehab center about 45 minutes away, so I knew who to call, but since it was getting dark, I knew I wouldnt have time to leave the bird, make the call, get instructions, and then come back and capture it.

So imagine a 15 year old kid with his tshirt in his hands running around trying to catch a falcon with it. Probably pretty comical. I did eventually get the shirt thrown over it and it's wings pinned to its body. He was not a happy camper.

Walked all the way home (3/4 mile) since I couldnt take my hands off of the shirt without him flapping and going ape on me.

Managed to get ahold of the rehab center, and they told me I would have to drive the 45 minutes to their facility. I informed them that I was 15, home alone, and unable to do so. I told them if they didnt come get it, I would either have to mercy kill it (illegal) or put back out for the coyotes or foxes to find. They eventually agreed to come get it.

That meant I got to sit at my kitchen table for almost 2 hours hanging out with one of the coolest creatures I have ever been around. I'm not gonna romanticize it and say how friendly he was and how much we bonded. LOL. He straight HATED me. After awhile I decided I just had to know what his bite was like. I dont recomend this. It hurt like hell, but it was still cool.

Ill always remember what the eyes of a pissed off, wild, injured falcon looked like.

They eventually came and picked him up. Turns out both legs and the birdy equivalent of hips were both broken. Presumably he was in a dive to kill a prairie dog and misjudged the ground.

Three months later I got a call that they were releasing him at a local wildlife refuge and I drove out to see him set free. What an amazing feeling. Hard not to like a bird of prey, specially one that does 220mph!

Cool story jbird! Well done!

Default Great Job

Man that is a great deed you did. In my opinion, never worry about posting a story like that. Those are the great ones.

One of the coolest posts I've read all year. Nice work man.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Default Update

I emailed the R.E.G.I. center inquiring the condition of our feathered friend, this was the response...

Hi jay,
    He is a very special bird. An adult male red-tail he is calm and has great demeanor. He does have a serious wing fracture. The numerals bones a compound fracture. He was there for quite sometime as the bone sustained some tissue drying. He may not be able to be wild again,but obscenity strong hopes be can live life as an education bird with us he had the perfect attitude and is completely at peace with captivity.
    You saved his life and got to experience the intelligence of these magnificent raptors. Thank you for your help.
    Best, Marge

A perfect ambassador for the species. Almost 30 years ago I helped create a wildlife education organization (that's still serving the public school system of California). It's animals like your hawk that helped us meet our goal. As I said before, "Well done!" Jay.
    3 Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

very cool, growing up with a father that was a game warden he was always bringing all kinds of different critters into the house..we even had an alligator one time...anyway it is rare that a wild animal will respond so positively to humans like that...i bet he was there awhile and very hungry..i bet that steak is the best meal he ever ate.

Jay this non flyfishing thread of yours just keeps getting better and better.

I'd call this the thread of the year.

The prize this year is a free trip to Wisconsin.

You've lifted us all up a bit, thanks man.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Great news he is doing well Jay. Your a life saver, I will think positive thoughts to get him back to soaring the sky's. Love and respect the wild!

Kudos to you! He is an awesome bird and Im sure he is grateful for you saving him. I bet you cant wait to go visit him. Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing.

Got an update on the hawk if some of you are interested...

Hi Jay,

He is still with us and doing well. He is in a cast with the wing and I am still not certain he will fly well enough to be released but he has a chance and that is good.

He is in good spirits and is eating well. He loves to watch the other patients as they come in and go out. due to his problems and seriousness of the fracture he is kept in the clinic still on heat to facilitate the healing process.

So all is well with him and we hope for the best.

Best,

Marge