Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caught a hawk...

Default Caught a hawk...

Totaly off topic, but I was driving just outside town and saw a red tail hawk in the grass. Thought it had taken prey, but as I crept closer, he didnt fly. Grabbed the camera and got out to approach it. He ran across the ground like a chicken. He obviously couldnt fly. I approached it speaking softly and he was very dosile. Let me get within 3 ft.

After spending 30 minutes with the poor guy, I decided to go to wildwood park (our local zoo) and ask if anyone would capture/rehab an injured raptor. They said no but theyde call city ordinance. DOH!

After a couple hours, I couldnt stand it and went back to see if he was still there. He was. As I sat with him, he saw a chipmunk out of the corner of his eye and ran as fast as he could after it. Much to my surprise, after his failed hunt, he wadled back over by me. I jumped in the truck and headed to the nearest market and bought some ultra lean beef and returned to the hawk. I tossed him a small peice and he jumped on it with his talons and enhaled it. Then he started coming at me! I quickly threw him another and he was on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3eGJPCqQ70

I fed him 5 or 6 small peices and went home to research who could rescue this guy. I called the DNR and was put in touch with R.E.G.I. (Raptor Education Group Inc.) I was very impressed with their urgency! The lady I spoke to said they couldnt get anyone over here til late afternoon. So I suggested I could capture it, especially since this little fella seemed to trust me. She gave me all the details on capturing a wounded hawk. So off I went with a box, two blankets and my package of meat. After a few awkward moments, I had him in the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnLH7YUA3sQ

I brought him home and kept him in the basement where it was dark, quiet and cool until the REGI lady arrived. She came around 7pm and took the bird. Hopefully theyll keep me updated on how he does. His chance of survival was 0 where I found him, but I think it just went up a bit.

Good Job! Well done.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

One of your best catches ever jbird. Nice going. Looks to be a really young RT, maybe recently fledged. How does that pencil in your "Caught Log"?

Don't want to rain on your happy parade.
    Last edited by Black Cloud; 09-24-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Story not worthy of this thread

Well done Jay.

You're my brother from another mother.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Nice Jay. I interned in college at a wildlife sanctuary, we had a few birds in the same situation who lived out their lives happily and healthily educating youngsters. Hopefully that guy is able to do the same.

Default grounded birds

the raptor center at UCD will take injured hawks, owls, and eagles and try to rehab and release them back to the wild. the unfortunate thing is that most such birds are either too badly injured or diseased for recovery, but it is better than the zero chance they have when first found.
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.

Thumbs up Caught....

WOW!!!! A hawk!!!! Is there anything you can't catch

From the birds perspective.... I bet he's sittin' fat right now. Do ya suppose he set all that up to get captured and you just happened by to make it happen....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That's some f-i-n-e work there Jay. Excellent action taken. Proud of you!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Beauty

Nice going Jay, good for you! My wife and I had a similar encounter with a Great Blue Heron on the American river. We went home and researched for a bird rescue outfit and found a lady that rehabs Eggrets and Herons and then finds homes for them if they aren't able to be released back into the wild. So we went back down to the river and got her into a large box and then drove her over to the ladies house. The lady had to hand feed the Heron for about 10 days before it would eat on it's own. Come to find out it had a bullet wound very close to the spinal cord so surgery was not a option. Unfortunately the heron could not be released back into the wild. She ended up nursing it along and now it resides in a zoo down in Modesto area. Birds are beautiful, and what beautiful flies that Great Blue could have made! A ++ for effort Jay.