Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Davis News Flash! The Fall Bite Is On!

Hey Jon, thanks for the recipe, you ROCK! I echo the sentiments of Scott V.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default Duck Hunting opens Oct. 8

Jon has always been generous with his info. about Davis Lake on this board, and out on the lake.....Thanks Jon

Twice i had the boat and car ready to head up to Davis Lake this week...but...had to cancel. i'm planning on coming up after the storm this weekend and i will be staying for a week or two....looking forward to hooking up with you... how are the snails doings????

The Duck hunters like Davis Lake, its best to sleep in and let the hunters have the bays and coves, most hunters will take a break around 10am.....so be safe when your sitting in your float tub or walkig the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Thanks Scott, sharing is caring - This is the best game in trout town!

Jon.
    Jon,
    I hope to be up there next weekend. I gotta go get some goooollllllddddddddd this weekend.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Campgrounds for Davis Lake

Does anyone know if Grasshopper flat or Grizzly campgrounds are open????

Thanks Jon

Great info.....

October is usually good almost everywhere.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Talking Report from today...

Gene,

I have yet to see a snail, the fish have switched over to crawdads 1" - 1.5 inches long as recent stomach samples have shown. Lighting Tree and J&J's Grizzly store are the only places to camp, and forget about rough camping on the west side - Serious logging goin on.

Thanks Bill, fall fishing is simply the best!

Today's report; Today was a carbon copy of last Thursday(the 1st report). Water temps at 9am were 63 degrees, the little tan midge was out mixed with blood midge. Fished the skinny water again with the dry blood midge emerger, hooked 6, landed 5, missed two (those hurt so bad!). The switched turned off at 11:20 and the sight/rising game was done. You guys, the fish I'm catching are real athletes! Lighting bolt runs, and these fish are colorful and clean. I'm curious as to how the fish look to those anglers fishing deeper water with indicators? Are they finding parasites on those open water fish?

Today was so good!

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Default 9/29 report

4th day in row, I’m tired. Same as yesterday, fish began rising and coming into the shallow water at 9:30am. Water temps were at 61.7 then and when I left at 12pm they were 65.2. Had some company today, FRSam was out, and two tubers. Everybody was into fish and all fish were clean, colorful, and athletes. The fish have finally got some girth to them and they are battling hard. Fished the blood midge emerger dry again, 7 hooked, 5 landed, missed 2. Fish ran 16-20 inches. I’m so pleased, what a great time! I’m going to take a little break and fish after these rain storms come through. Let you all know what the current conditions are then.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Had a great day out at the lake today... no wind...fish working flat shallow water...plenty of willing targets...no parasites...and healthy hot and athletic rainbows. No need for a boat, pram or tube the shore fishing with old Woodrow by my side was the way to go. And it's always nice to run into old friends while out - refering here to Jon and the old trout dog Madi.

The fish are on the grab but you have to hit them on the head, just fishing the water didn't produce for me. I'd have to give the hot fly this time out to Jon's blood midge cripple, shown above, as he fished the same water I'd been working earlier and within a five minute period he was into two nice fish. I'd heard old Madi barking, which means fish on for Jon, quite a bit before we hooked up today so I knew Jon was having another good day.

Here are a couple of pictures from todays outing...

Another beautiful day at Lake Davis

Jon & Madi Fish On

And my old faithful Woody keeping an eye on my rod.

As Bill said this is a great time to be out on the water and if you hit Davis I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach