Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sage "Z-Axis" fly rods at close out prices right now

Luckydude, I think I see what you're getting at with the longer casts. For casts that are longer than 30 ft or so you need to pull the extra line off the reel and just let it hang at your feet. (This is for practice casting in your pasture.) Work out your 30ft, haul on your backcast and let some more slip out, only a few feet max, then haul on your forward cast and just let go of the line letting it all just "shoot" through the guides. You'll be shocked at how little effort goes into an 80ft cast.

All the long casts involve shooting the line out, you're rod can only handle so much line in the air at one time.

It does take practice, but it will come to you.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm good for about 50-60 feet out on false casts with a nice rod and nice line.

I do shoot line out on the forward cast, I do that routinely when I've got maybe 40-45 feet of line in the air.

But here's the the prob. Casting in the pasture with no leader and no fly is one thing, casting in real life with a big ass hopper and a 12 foot leader is another thing. I find that it is hard to get things to turn over at that length.

I will say, I'm loving that 6wt Rio LT. My kid was with me with a spinning reel (mine, so not junk) and he was casting a half ounce jig with a plastic worm on it. I was flipping a big woolly bugger out almost as far as he could cast that big hunk of metal. Love that line.

I am lowering them all to $399 for the message board gang.

Got the new rods for 2012 coming in all the time now so need to make room on the rod rack for them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It should turn over exactly the same at any distance. Do the hauls, and shoot a ton of line on your final cast. Keep the mechanics the same, you don't need any more effort for 80 feet than you do for 40.

It sounds like you're trying to carry too much line in the air. You want to load the rod and that's it. I believe rod wts are based on carrying 30 ft in the air. The line will carry the other 40ft out if you let it and it will turn over quite nicely.

You're on the right track, but I'd do a bit of reading or fish with someone who's proficient at shooting line out like you want.

If you find yourself up this way give me a shout, I'd be happy to show you.

Ed

Oh, one more thing. Don't cast without a fly or small piece of yarn on the end of your leader, that's a recipe for destroying the end of your line.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

What are the chances of getting another 590, 4pc?
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Quote Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
    What are the chances of getting another 590, 4pc?
    Any interest in mine? I have to send it to Sage or Kiene's to get it fixed.

Question Practice Casting....

LuckyDude,.... Did I understand your last post correctly You're casting on dry land without a leader or fly (yarn) attached to your line

Aside from the potential damage to the end of your line that this might do, it probably contributes to part of your casting problems. Try attaching an 8' or 9' piece of mono with a fly (hook point cut off) or a piece of egg yarn tied to the end and try it.

That'll make the practice closer to realistic situation and help your casts.

If I didn't understand what you posted, just disregard this note.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    LuckyDude,.... Did I understand your last post correctly You're casting on dry land without a leader or fly (yarn) attached to your line
    When I get a new line I tend to go try it with different rods to see how it feels, and yeah, I'm usually too lazy to tie on a leader. I'm not worried about the end of the line, I'm going to cut off that loop and do a nail knot anyways.

What I was trying to point out is that it's a lot easier to get a line to turn over than a long knotless leader with a hopper.

Whatever, I'm loving the Rio LT, it casts nicely even with a big ass wooly bugger on it.

Default Hey Bill...

Heard rumors that the switch and spey Z Axis rods are being discontinued this year as well.

Any truth to that???

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
    any interest in mine? I have to send it to sage or kiene's to get it fixed.
    pm me please
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."