Thread: Montana is a great place to flyfish...

Default Montana is a great place to flyfish...

Just got back from my annual trek to Montana. Will add some pics to this post as I get the chance. A few things I learned this time around...

1) 1000 miles in a day from Helena to Sacramento is not as bad as it sounds, despite rain and lots of road construction, especially when you miss your kids.

2) the Missouri River is an incredible fishery -- (okay, I already knew this, but it continues to amaze me).

3) If there is a good trout fishery, everyone within a day's drive who owns a drift boat will be there -- (pressure on the Mo is extreme over the last few years). If Montana had a navy it would be stationed in Craig.

4) If you find a guide who doesn't keep bankers hours, but fishes when you need to be out there, cherish this relationship.

5) Deer don't know it's the interstate...be careful.

6) If someone asks you if you want to hike in to the north fork of the Blackfoot, don't hesitate.

7) Fly shops don't have to be big to be good.

If your buddy moves to Helena, make sure you keep in touch.

Must be more, but it's late and I just drove 16 hours.
    Last edited by Woodman; 09-17-2011 at 08:14 AM.

This is well timed! It's 2:59am and my alarm just went off because I'm about to hop in the pickup and drive 1,000 miles to Twin Bridges, MT. It will be my first trip so I hope to learn a few things myself...wish me luck! I look forward to your report.

-Ben

Ohhh. North Fork of the Blackfoot. What a wonderful stream. Gin clear water. Sliding down to the creek on your butt. Climbing back up the scree incline hoping you can actually make it back to the trail. I love that stream.

#2 the missouri is THE BEST!. although i hated it the 1st time i went there. now it is my favorite trout river. not many places you can expect to catch 20"+ rainbows and browns on dry flies. And they TEAR YOU UP!

That reel looks realy similar to my beloved Lamson lp 1, 1.5, 2.

What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
    That reel looks realy similar to my beloved Lamson lp 1, 1.5, 2.

What is it?
    Ross Gunnison