Thread: Lower Lola Montez

Default Lower Lola Montez

I took Monday off and lugged my tube just over 3 miles up the hill to Lower Lola Montez Lake. With that weather system we got it actually wasn't to bad of a hike, nice and cool. I got to the lake at 8 am sharp, tube set up and in the water by 815. First cast, grab and miss. Second cast another grab, this could be a really good day? I read about "15 to 20" rainbows crusing the shoreline are common". Well usually when I read something like that I'm skeptical, and from now on I'll always be skeptical. I ended catching 6 rainbows (biggest was 11", the rest were 8" to 10") and 1 small brookie. Odd thing was the water was 62 deg, but all the fish were in the middle of the lake. On top of that they were down about 15', had to use the Type IV to catch most of them. It was a beautiful lake, hadn't been there since I was a little kid camping at the upper lake with the family. Just when I called it a day and was breaking down the tube a cell blew in and I got to hike out in the rain, with a decent 15 minute hail storm.

Now back to the drawing board for planning next months trip.

Dan

Nothing like hiking through rain and hail to finish off a day of fishing.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Always wondered about Lower Lola Montez...I see the lake twice a year or so while mountain biking Hole in the Ground trail, and always thought it looked fishy. Thanks for the report.

That's funny, I've always heard of Hole in the Ground and never realized it was right next to Lower Lola. That ride looks tough heading up the hill until you get back onto the gravel stretch, but fun once you get to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Always wondered about Lower Lola Montez...I see the lake twice a year or so while mountain biking Hole in the Ground trail, and always thought it looked fishy. Thanks for the report.

Here are some pictures I took on my little adventure:

Castle Peak on the way up the hill.

By colfaxtroutman at 2011-09-14

Keepin it real.

Glad to get this thing off my back.

Ready for action.

Trophy size trout water.

Always glad to be out fishing, but unfortunately the pic of the fish above was just shy of "average" for the day.

Dan