Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paiute Trout

Default Paiute Trout

Here's the latest in the ongoing saga over the future (or lack thereof) of the Paiute Trout:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/10/389...cutthroat.html
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

"...the project elevates recreational fishing over preserving wilderness character".

Nowhere in the plan does DFG, USFWS, or USFS suggest that Upper Silver King is going to be opened up to recreational fishing. This is an effort to save a species from extinction. Nancy Erman can rot in hell.

Here's some back end to the story:
    http://www.scottchurchdirect.com/ted...and-nancys-war

Default These folks are a crime against nature

It's a real shame. It's a beautiful area, there is almost "0" fishing presure in the areas of Silver King and the upper EC that are open to fishing. These chemophobes with their whacked out views are going to wipe out one of the most endangered fish in the world. They are definately small thinkers. Unfortunately they've found a sympathetic bonehead judge.

Dick W.
    Tahoma CA

Maybe if the USFS and CA DFG were not so incompetent in planning a project that has been known to be opposed vigorously by the CBD (and others) by putting out a crappy EIR and violating the Wilderness Act, the project could go forward. Sorry folks, it's USFS & DFG's fault for leaving gaping holes that are the legal equivalent of a slam dunk for any judge to rule against. CBD is just exploiting the incompetence of others to further their own personal agenda. And if any one thinks that I'm in not in favor of Paiute restoration work and support CBD's position you'd be dead wrong in that assumption. Paiute trout need to be restored to their native and historical range, period. I'm just amazed at how two govt agencies could screw something up so badly. And yeah, I'm a former USFS and NPS employee who used to plan and manage/approve projects like this and I'm ashamed at how badly this project is going. Glad it's not happening under my watch.

...there is almost "0" fishing presure in the areas of Silver King and the upper EC that are open to fishing.
    The areas of Silver King Creek that are open to fishing have no pure strain Paiutes, correct? So if DFG is successful in restoring pure strain Paiutes to their native range, isn't it possible that fishing pressure would increase, mostly by those who have taken up DFG's California Heritage Trout Challenge?

While single-species management is indeed important, it sometimes might be better to take a broader view and look at the bigger picture. In this case, the entire Silver King Creek watershed. I know very little about this particular issue, and perhaps poisoning the SKC watershed is what's best for that community. But I just wanted to throw my opinion out there as a matter of discussion.

Interesting that the two laws that are mostly responsible for habitat protection - ESA and Wilderness Act - are at odds with each other for this particular issue.

Have you guys been following the barred vs spotted owl battle? Very relevant to what DFG is trying to do.

The Eastern barred owl (invasive species) is outcompeting the native and endangered spotted owl. Funny thing is there's an uproar about relocating and, uh, "removing" the invaders just because they're fuzzy and "wise". I see a lot of "if they're thriving, maybe it's just nature's way of saying the spotted owl SHOULD go extinct". Of course if the barred owl is allowed to take over, some fear that the old growth protection battle could swing the other way since the spots are gone...

At least it hasn't gotten that bad for the Paiute, though I think some of us here wouldn't feel too badly if the plight of the MYLF was seen that way. I personally think they can set aside the waters for MYLFs and still have plenty of quality high country fishing.

_SHig

This is tragic. Silver King Creek and the Paiutes are a treasure. I had the pleasure of going on a couple of Leo Cronin organized TU work trips many years ago. A lot of rock rolling to create barriers to upstream migration of invasives, fence repair to keep cattle out of the stream, and electrofishing to relocate natives.

In one of the tributaries, electrofishing was ineffective due to the water quality. Got the opportunity to do some DFG sanctioned flyfishing in the closed upper Silver King drainage. Still one of the highlights of my many years of flyfishing.

Default there is always more to the story

Classic post Bob….let’s take a cheap shot at the agency folks that are trying to restore the Paiute. I guess they should have hired a consulting firm, fresh with recent UC Davis grads, to complete the EIR/EIS…$$$$$.....???

The truth in the matter is the derailment of the project has nothing to do with the EIS/EIR, Wilderness Act, DFG, or the USFWS…..it boils down to individuals opposed to the use of rotenone to kill fish (the judge & plaintiffs). The judge that recently ruled said he was opposed to killing one trout to introduce another. This was a moral/ethical stance that had nothing to do with restoring the PCT, science, or the case he was hearing (the merits/process of the EIR/EIS). Given that he could find no fault in the case, he used the wilderness act a last ditch effort to postpone the treatment. This judge is retiring in a couple weeks and this lame excuse for a ruling will likely be over-turned through an administrative action….and he knows this.

If you don’t know all the details regarding something it would probably be a good idea to not berate and insult people unless you do…..

NT-
    I share your assessment. No plan will ever be perfect and anyone with a magnifying glass will be able to poke holes in it. Judge Damrell was looking for any excuse to hang his hat (and robe) on to derail the project. It has become a personal agenda of his and our resources will be better off once he is out of the picture.
    ~R

The truth of the matter is that CBD indeed has ulterior motives that has nothing to do with Paiute restoration (and both the USFS & DFG know that already) and NEPA/CEQA and the Wilderness Act have everything to do with the case getting sunk by the judge. And the incompetence of the USFS & DFG gave the judge the legally defensible reason he was already looking for. First rule in my business was to never give your opponent a loaded gun to shoot you with, and the USFS and DFG gave CBD a gun loaded with nuclear ammo pointed directly at their heads. As far as more to the story/details, you obviously have no idea what the impacts of the EIR process and Wilderness Act are, because if you actually did you'd completely understand my post. No one, including govt agencies can ignore the laws and regulations contained within. And CBD knows that and successfully exploits it, time and time again. You know the old story about fool me once....... As far as overturning the case once Judge D retires, care to place a bet on that? His rulings on the case (even though he is obviously biased) are based on solid legal foundations. The only good news is this latest tactic by CBD has no significant impact on the project as it was already postponed due to water conditions this year. And it will be quite easy to fix the mess up created by the USFS & DFG because they don't believe/ignore/don't know the fact they actually have to comply with existing law.
    "If you don’t know all the details regarding something it would probably be a good idea to not berate and insult people unless you do….."
    Yeppers, I'm saying the exact same thing to you also. Funny how that works out!
    Last edited by Bob Laskodi; 09-19-2011 at 08:07 PM.