Thread: hackle question

Default hackle question

Been tying some traditional steelhead flies lately (skunks, purple perils, etc.). Just curious if most people fold the hackle or strip off one side before tying in? Do you change depending on the type or amount of hackle you're using? Not sure there's a "right" answer, but just want to hear what you guys are doing. Any comments welcome.
    patrick

Question To Fold or Not....

When I was fishing for Salmon/Steelhead, I used to love to tie classic west coast patterns. Still have many of those flies that I tied 20 years ago, unused. I tend to fold a hackle rather than than strip off one side, unless a pattern specifically calls for stripping.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Change of water

I would say it depends on the flavor of water you are going to fish. For a more fully dressed fly fold it over, and for something for low clear water go sparse and strip one side. Mix it up and tie some of the same flies both ways. The classic traditional recipes probably calls for folding the hackle. My 2 cents!

Started tying steelhead patterns seriously about 1956. Have never worried about stripping a hackle yet and doubt I ever will.