Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Catch?

I think that fish-hoggery of the first order. Sure it's legal.
    But consider this.

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
    — Aldo Leopold

Anyone care to argue with Aldo?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    But consider this.

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
    — Aldo Leopold

Ed
    I could tell you how I also am from Wisconsin, blah blah blah. What Aldo said is so profoundly right there is nothing I could add to that. What he said is what I try to teach my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    But consider this.

— Aldo Leopold

Ed
    Unfortunately, Aldo's rule hasn't been past on to future generations (plural).... goes way beyond bad behavior in fishing..... i.g.; subprime mortgage BS, Wall St., and the calamity that is now our two-party political system.

I can recite instances where you actually get penalized for doing the 'right' thing today. Very sad indeed.

We ate the fish we kept and released over 100 goldens...Or More on that Trip . I have been catching and releasing goldens at theses lakes for over 30 years... without dent... they are getting Better... and Bigger every year....

and I have done the same thing in certain lakes. One of which is no longer a trophy (up to 5lbs at one time) Brookie lake because F&G f*cked it up.

I'll reserve my distain for the Gov. They've done far more "damage" than any guide could ever think of doing.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

I am so offended. So offended that they ruined two perfectly good ribeye steaks.

Default WTF?

It's hard to justify keeping that many big fish anywhere. Pretty ugly scene in a beautiful spot.....

Default High Sierra Massacre!!

That makes me sick... Especially when the trout in the pan are smaller guys! What the heck!

Ed made reference to taking the fish in question may be legal but . . . I think (occasionally I am guilty of thinking!) this is a larger problem today than solely fishing. There are many instances where many "stretch" the law. We may abide by the law but creep up to the fringes of legality and occasionally place one foot on the other side. A huge issue we face as humans is recognizing the "spirit" of the law or living the "heart" of the law. We may be legal but the "spirit" may wish us more conservative in regards to the ultimate goal. If the limit is 5 but the "spirit" is telling us to conserve our resources and take only minimally. I suppose it may be like the accident victim stating that he/she had the right of way, but the other car ran the stop sign. Still got you in an accident and you were completely legal! So, pardon the ramblings of an old man but as Ed says "I think that fish-hoggery of the first order. Sure it's legal. But consider this."

When you're taking fish/catch photos that look like those from the early 20th century with the only difference being that yours are color and not black and white, you may need to realize that you're out of step with the times....

The fact that it's a guide whose livelihood is dependent on sustainable natural resources makes it all the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Ed made reference to taking the fish in question may be legal but . . . I think (occasionally I am guilty of thinking!) this is a larger problem today than solely fishing. There are many instances where many "stretch" the law. We may abide by the law but creep up to the fringes of legality and occasionally place one foot on the other side. A huge issue we face as humans is recognizing the "spirit" of the law or living the "heart" of the law. We may be legal but the "spirit" may wish us more conservative in regards to the ultimate goal. If the limit is 5 but the "spirit" is telling us to conserve our resources and take only minimally. I suppose it may be like the accident victim stating that he/she had the right of way, but the other car ran the stop sign. Still got you in an accident and you were completely legal! So, pardon the ramblings of an old man but as Ed says "I think that fish-hoggery of the first order. Sure it's legal. But consider this."
    Yes indeed. The first thing that I questioned was the man's couth, not the legality of the catch.