Thread: Heenan Lake Opener

Default Heenan Lake Opener

Went to Heenan on Friday 09-02 for the opener. Got there alittle late as usual. Parked at the lower lot, as the upper lot was full, and cars etc. were parking on the road into the main lot. There was only one other person parked down there. When I left there was one more parked down there. Put in at the dam. And kicked around the dam for awhile then went along the shore (south) towards the stocking area and then all around the shore back to the dam. I got my fish (4) to net and 2-3 I lost while on the south/west shore. Nothing seemed to happen for me until I shortened up the amount of line (type 4 full sink) I had in the water. Then I started to get bit. Not sure if this had any bearing on my success or not, but after the change things started to happen plus I was only using one fly rig, a black wolly bugger seemed to do the trick for me. I did dry all sorts of combinations, purple bugger, green bugger, with hairs ear droppers and prince nymphs also. But what worked was a single fly (black) with no dropper, and 5X tippet. Talked to a guy who was throwing metal lures, cast master, and he said he had caught 14 fish. The metal thowers (killers) were doing well catching fish, but the guy said he has a fly rod that he leaves home as he said he has A.D.D. and can't be that patient. I would guess that the Sat/Sun was a zoo there. I would say on Friday maybe 15-20 tubes and some kayaks and a few boats with electric motors. I will be going back some time soon to see if I can get lucky again. This was my 4th or 5th time going to Heenan and I have been skunked until this time, and it was worth it. No I didn't get alot of fish, but I broke my jinx at this lake. My wife does well there. The wind was calm all day for the most part. Every once in a while some would kick up, but nothing unmanageable. Maybe the fishing will get better as the whether gets colder. Was listening to others in boats, spin casting with lures or trolling and seems some were not as successful as the guy I talked to.

I went on Saturday and there was maybe 12 people total, it was real nice without all the boats. I got 2 myself, it seemed a little slow for most others. Algae bloom is just starting, it was mostly tiny little clumps but visibility was good. Water temp was 64.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I think it is open Fri/Sat/Sun....Sept/Oct?

Usually it is better in October after it cools off some.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Heenan...src=6&t=h&z=15
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A buddy and I are headed out there for the eve bite. Wish us luck

Well we got skunked. Only fished about 2 hours. Im still new on fishing out of a float tube.....and still quite a newbie w/ a fly rod. I missed my only bite....I will be back

I know the feeling, as I fished Heenan last Friday 9-9 and got nothing except for one nice hit which I must of been nodding off and the line slipped through my fingers and the hit/fish were long gone. Got tired of it and left for a lake where I usually do well, as I did this day also, nothing big, but numbers yes and a very beautiful little lake for rainbows. Stopped at Hangman's but just to look and call wifey. Might go to Heenan later when the whether cools a bit. Maybe my luck will change.

I have found that Heenan fishes better after it cools down and with this late heat we got I don't plan to go back for at least 2 more weeks. Maybe we can all meet at the lake on maybe the 8th and fish together. We can have our own little Kiene's meet and fish get together.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I have found that Heenan fishes better after it cools down and with this late heat we got I don't plan to go back for at least 2 more weeks. Maybe we can all meet at the lake on maybe the 8th and fish together. We can have our own little Kiene's meet and fish get together.
    Once october hits my buddy and I will be fishing pyramid. As well as hiking for goldens and maybe hunting for some grayling.

I fished heenan again fri morn from 645am-11. Not a single bite I kicked around the whole lake and nothing. It was quite slow as most of the people got 0's that i talked to. I'll be back... but pyramid is what im looking forward to.

I got blanked too on Friday. Saw about 4 cutts caught. Water was nice and clear but the fish weren't cooperating.