Thread: Independence Lake

Default Independence Lake

Went to Independence lake on Saturday 09-04. Got there alittle late. Had all the float tube stuff for my wife and I but did not use it. You have to thoroughly clean off you tube and waders and anything else that has been in other waters. Not really a big deal, as they have all the things needed to do so. They don't want any additional invasive species to be introduced into the lake, as they are having success with the reduction and elimination of the undesirable species. Was told they are trying to get rid of the brown trout there by using blocks to the lake. They have 3-4 pontoon boats, huge, that look like they would be good for river fishing, they are one person pontoons. We opted for the kayaks, as we didn't have to get wet and wash off anything. If we opted for the pontoons they had two pairs of force fins that you can use, they hadn't even been out of the box. They don't charge a thing for all of the use of their kayaks or toons. It is run by the Nature Conservacy. According to one of the employees who lives there, who told us he was once a guide on the Madison and some other river in Montana, the bite was a bit slow due to the warmth of the water. I did get one cuthroat while fishing from the kayak. The water is crystal clear. We were very lucky that the usual winds were not present for our day. Sounds like in talking to others the wind is a constant present there. A beautiful lake and day for us. The drive in is not very far or rough. I think it was 5 miles from Jackson Meadows road. The lake is 2.5 miles long. I had my 4x4 and never needed it. It is a bit rocky but as far as tough 4x4, not even close. According to an employee they are open until the snow starts to fall. Did see one awesome bald eagle. I think the fishing would be better either early in the year or later in the year as the water temps are lower. You have to reserve the toon or kayak there at the table they had set up. First come first serve. They would like you to fill out a written survey about your experience at the lake. We were there on Labor day weekend and had no problem getting on the lake.

Cool deal! Do they run it as a pay lake? What are the rates?

They're making it a LCT haven right?

_SHig

No, at this time it is absolutely free. But we forgot to give a donation, next time we will do it as we, wifey and I felt a bit bad that we forgot. Not to many places were things are free. And yes, they are doing alot of work to make it a LCT only lake. The employee who was a guide in Montana talked to my wife for 15 to 20 minutes about all the successes they are having there and what they are doing. She was waiting for a second kayak to come in so she could join me. As a couple snaked the two we had reserved while we were before them, as we were rigging our poles etc. they went down to the kayaks and put there stuff in the kayaks we were to have taken out and then came back and filled out the paperwork. NOT COOL. But takes all kinds of nuts. The employee who is the patrol, even offered to take us out in the motorized patrol boat as I think they felt a bit bad that we got snaked. But we were dealing with a guy, and when we were down rigging up we were told by a female that there was only one kayak. You can use their motorized aluminum boats everyother weekend, as the land/home owners don't want motorized boats out there every weekend.
    Last edited by RenoLipRipper; 09-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.