Thread: Guide Question?

Default Guide Question?

Hey guys, got a buddy coming back to cali on military leave in late december. Where do you think the best place to get a guided fly trip in northern california for that time of year and any guide recomendations? thanks.

Default Yuba or Lowre Sac

Clayton,

The late season egg bite and baetis hatches on the Lower Sac and Yuba can be really fun in early December. This is a great time of year to be on the river as most people are starting to turn their focus to steelheading. As a result there is great trout fishing still to be had without the crowds. I had some huge days last December on both of these rivers.

As a guide recommendation I can take you out myself. Check out my website at www.rjsflytrips.com. I have been guiding for 9 years now in the valley and there are many people here on this board that I fish with.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assitance or if you have any questions.

Ryan Johnston
    ryan@rjsflytrips.com
    619-540-9259
    Guiding out here on some of the best trout waters of the west coast, it is my goal to fill your memory bank with plenty of fish tales, big and small!

Ryan is right. December is one of my favorite times on those rivers...Ryan forgot to mention there is winter steelhead around on both those rivers as well so you may get lucky. Ryan is a great guide. book a trip so he can make enough money to take time off to fish and hang out with me in December.

www.hgbflyfishing.com
    www.hgbflyfishing.blogspot.com

Thanks guys I'll keep that in mind and consider taking you up on that offer. Out of curiosity, is anything happening more up north like the Trinity or Klamath area that time of year for fly guys?

I recommend Ryan for the lower sac, and Keith Kaneko for the Yuba.

Both great guides.....

Bigger fish on lower sac than the yuba....

There are fish in both the Klamath and Trinity at that time of year...Good time a lot of places. just gotta ask how far you want to drive and how cold you wanna be.