Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Catch?

Default Excessive Catch?

What do you guys think of the amount of fish kept and killed by these guys?

http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsya...num=1313715834

Fantastic Goldens for sure, but all those fish were eaten by 2 people?

Default Not everywhere has to C&R...

I'm amazed at the size and shape of those fish due to the lake's elevation location. While I usually practice C&R (almost 100% of my fish), there are times where I don't have any problems with keeping a few for dinner. Any body of water can support only a specific number of fish where there are too many fish with limited food become stunted and need to be caught for thinning out the population. If you have to horseback into that lake, I'm assuming that lake isn't hit by too many fishermen and taking a few out of the lake generally will not affect the overall condition when you take into the number of fish removed from the winter kill.

I bet those trout were very tasty and as long as they were properly consumed rather than thrown on the side of the trail or put in the freezer for several years; I believe should be too large of an issue.

It's way more than I'd keep, one of those would be more than enough for dinner. Seems lame.

I agree that thinning out is good if they are stunted but those are nice healthy big trout, why not leave them for the next guy?

Not sure what they did with all those big fish?

I think eating "some" fish fresh in the back-country is OK.

Who would want to pack them out??
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Go here:

This subject is discussed ad-nauseum in the general fishing link of this board here:
    http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24515
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Sorry guys, I didn't seee that thread in the General Fly Fishing section.

If they eat what they killed and did not exceed the limit I am fine with it.

And I personally do not eat fresh water trout, just don't care for it. But if they are obeying the laws and regulations it is not our place to say anything bad about them. Now if they did not eat everything they killed then I have a big problem with that.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Whack 'em and stack 'em.... that's what I say. I think they said they ate 10 total, cnr the rest I presume.

I'm all for CnR but if you keep what you catch there's nothing I can do to stop you if you're in the regs.... just don't be a crybaby and be the first person complaining when your fishing spots are all fished out... or all you catch is dinks cuz you kept all the big ones...
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    Whack 'em and stack 'em.... that's what I say. I think they said they ate 10 total, cnr the rest I presume.

I'm all for CnR but if you keep what you catch there's nothing I can do to stop you if you're in the regs.... just don't be a crybaby and be the first person complaining when your fishing spots are all fished out... or all you catch is dinks cuz you kept all the big ones...
    This is not directed at you, jgoding. Just an observation of what this person has posted, vs what we can see in his pictures.

He said he ate 10 trout on that trip. If you look at the pictures in his first post, I count 21 fish. Not saying he didn't release those, but if you look at them, they don't look all that healthy. Kinda dry looking, with pupils centered. They are also holding them up by the gill plates. If you count just the fish in the pictures, where multiple fish are being held at the same time, there's 15. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any of those fish being released....alive anyway. I'm not even counting the fish in the second run of pictures he posts.

So he only ate 10 fish on the trip?

I would really like to think this guide did not waste any fish, but something(his posts & pictures) is nagging at me that it did happen.

briansII

This is a TRAVESTY!!!!!! Shame on them! And if they were in the legal boundaries of the catch limit, shame on the state of California!!