Thread: Crater and Scotts Lakes

Default Crater and Scotts Lakes

I'm heading up next week to fish the East Carson and thought I would try
    Crater, Frog and Scotts Lakes [Alpine County]. Any info. on these lakes
    would be respected and appreciated. C&R and I leave a light footprint.

Many Thanks, Larry

Fished Crater last fall. Pretty spot and lake is full of brookies. Cloudy water not much visibility. Last time I was at Frog Lake (5yrs) I did see some big fish cruising, but I've never fished it. EC should be good for dries and nymphing. Flows are below 200cfs for first time this year! If cloudy when on EC start throwing big attractor dries. Have fun!

I fished Crater the year before last. It's a put and take Brookie fishery, at least that's all I caught there. Beautiful spot. You'll need a four-by for the last part of the trip.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Crater Lake

Thanks for the info. As a novice flyfisherman, I've fished the EC for 40 years
    with bait and have switched to flys, this will be my first time below Hangmans
    Bridge. For other novices a great 20 page booklet by J.E. Warren-Wickwire,
    titled Angling Alpine, gives a overview of the fishing opportunities in Alpine
    County and the appropriate flys. I will try Crater.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljarrett View Post
    Thanks for the info. As a novice flyfisherman, I've fished the EC for 40 years
    with bait and have switched to flys, this will be my first time below Hangmans
    Bridge. For other novices a great 20 page booklet by J.E. Warren-Wickwire,
    titled Angling Alpine, gives a overview of the fishing opportunities in Alpine
    County and the appropriate flys. I will try Crater.
    Crater is beautiful !!!
    If you're going to drive to the lake at the top of the hill, make sure you have a 4X4 as Ed suggested.
    In addition, make sure you have GOOD brakes AND trust your rig not to break down.
    When you get there you'll know what I mean.........

I haven't fished Crater in a while, but when I did I had the best success on the "other side of the lake" just past the shallow sand bar.

Loads of small colorful brookies (a fish a minute) using small mayfly nymphs.

Good luck and let us know how you did !!

Bob