Thread: Back home in Hawaii

Default Back home in Hawaii

Aloha, I am back home and the fishing has been pretty good. I have been pretty consistant with the inshore fishing. Lots of nice bones like this one. The papio have been in shore and are chasing Oama. I love the new BVK rod and reel nice combo for light saltwater action.

The bones like to eat in the evening, I have gotten a couple in the 5-6lb range, but didn't have the camera with me.

The offshore action has been hot. I got this nice ahi on a pink popper, took 30 minutes to bring in. There have bben some big ahi aroung, but most came and went while I was on the mainland. I got a couple of 40-50lbers and they have made for some nice sashimi.

This is the view heading out of the bay in Hilo.

A reel sunrise!

Lots of mahi around, they have been pretty consistant.

Had a good day yesterday, went out and got a bout a dozen ahi to 30lbs. Then hit another bouy and got five mahi. I had a 50lb bull on for almost and hour, but lost him at the boat when he went under the boat and broke the 40lb leader, what a heartbreak. Beautiful fish though.

Went offshore in kona one day with a couple of friends. Saw this nice sailboat down south. Look how flat the water is over there. Got a small ahi, a nice mahi and then this late season ono on the way in. The fishing has been pretty good, nice to be back in the islands.

Lots of good grinds with that fish. I am back in school teaching now. I don't know why we have classes in August, the hottest onth of the year, and one of my favorite times to be fishing. It is nice to be home, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Hey Don,

Awesome bones! Some day...

Love to see your reports. Quick question: what do you do with all of your fish? You can't possibly eat it all!

_SHig

Always look forward to your reports Don! Looks like youre havin way to much fun.

Default Mahalo

Thanks for the comments guys. Jay I hope the great north woods has been kind. I want to see you get a musky on the fly. I wish I could find leinenkugels out here. Scott I eat a lot of fish. Tonight it was coconut encrusted mahi with sweet and sour sauce. It is more like dessert, than a main dish. I do give a lot of fish away. I have a half dozen guys I fish with regularly and when we catch I will send some their way so they take me fishing with them when they go out. My wife likes to give the fish away, she thinks it is hers! She will make all these people happy, but I just like giving it to my friends. I do like guys who will take whole fish, less for me to clean. I don't freeze much fish, I just like to eat it fresh. I do make ceviche and poke for the teachers in my department. That way they all come to the meetings. It makes me one of the more popular department heads at the school. I like to share, and you guys would be welcome to have fish any time. Take care, Don.
    Don Memmer

Living on the saltwater would be pretty coool......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thumbs up Home Sweet Home....

Aloha Don,.... Good to be on vacation but sure is great to get home.... From the looks of the catch, you haven't skipped a beat. That Ono is a beast. Was it fly caught I still have to catch an Ono on a fly. Maybe this October. Your photo's make it so I can't hardly wait to get down to Baja.... Ah yes, good fishin', good friends, good food.... MMM, MMM.

Thanks for posting those pics.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default ono on the fly

Hey Darian, nope got this ono trolling skirts in 40 fathoms along a ledge. I have gotten them on the fly at private bouys and next to floating objects like logs and cargo nets. It seems like when they hit you are never ready with wire. I keep some in my bag rigged up for just such an instance. They are pretty nuts on the first run, amazing speed. They are a fish that don't offer too many opportunities to cast to. More like when they want something they cut it in half and return for the clean up. That is why they are easier to get on the troll. I would put them up there with milkfish as a trophy on the fly. Have fun down in baja with Jay in October. If I were you I would get some Rainy's pink bubblehead poppers in size 5/0 for the big tuna. That is my favorite fly for big ahi. Good luck, Don.
    Don Memmer

Don,
    Heading over to Kauai next Tuesday for 10 days. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Terry

Hey Terry! I've heard that there's wild trout around Kokee.

Default Kauai

Hey Terry, I love kauai, nice varitey there. Rob Aritta is a guide there and he will take you for bones and peacocks. www.bonefishkauai.com This is his web site. If you want to go offshore, then get one of the local charter guys to take you out to one of the bouys, bring a popper and a 12wt and get some ahi. They haven't spawned yet here, so you might get into some late season big boys. If you want to DIY then get some small clousers and hit any beach you like for papio. There are trout up in the streams and ditches up at kokee. Like I said lots of variety on kauai, good luck, Don.
    Don Memmer