Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goloden Trout

This is quickly spreading all over the fly fishing boards. They are ripping the guy a new one on The Drake's BB. It's unfortunate that the people on the original board won't hear both sides of the discussion. From the coments they posted they need to consider both sides.

Though it is legal, as many have stated, I'm curious if anyone has sent this damning post to the DFG, just so they can get an idea of what this guy is doing. I'd say this is a case of waste, blatant and perversely so. One fish a day would feed both father and son.

Quote Originally Posted by fflutterffly View Post
    Though it is legal, as many have stated, I'm curious if anyone has sent this damning post to the DFG, just so they can get an idea of what this guy is doing. I'd say this is a case of waste, blatant and perversely so. One fish a day would feed both father and son.
    I recognize the lakes. These are a hike from one another and no sane backpacker is going to carry 10-15 pounds of trout from one camp to the next. Even Gene can't eat that much fish. It's a given that the majority of those trout got tossed into the bushes after the hero shots.

In another board, a member cited CA DFG 1.87
    "1.87. Waste of Fish. It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state."
    Last edited by 1mocast; 09-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Default Aha!

Quote Originally Posted by tomsakai View Post
    Several of us from one of the SoCal boards posted on that site yesterday. Generally our posts were polite but pointed out the problem of keeping those trophy fish. All posts got deleted and at least 3 of us were banned from that board. It's clear they don't want to hear anything that disagrees with a poster, especially a poster that is a sponsor of that board.
    After reading the moderator's post how he had deleted three accounts, I really wondered what was up with that site. Any board like that, which does not tolerate any dissent or disagreement, is not worth going to, or worthy of legitimacy, in my opinion. It seems like the "captain" merely posted there to have his ego stroked a bit. Pretty pathetic.

Thanks for the background info and perspective on this, Tom.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 09-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Question Opinions....

Dave,.... Nice to be able to express a negative opinion ad nauseum isn't it. But, I'm wondering why you'd feel that when a moderator of another BB decides not to host this type of discussion you'd brand that BB as somehow "....not worth going to or unworthy or worthy of legitimacy" If you've frequented Blanton's BB, you'd see that his policy (strictly enforced BTW) wouldn't have tolerated much of this thread or the other in another forum. Yet, I find a great deal of useful info on that BB. Try posting your objections to Blanton's BB. Maybe you can convince him that his site is unworthy or not legitimate. There're several others in SoCal (salt water) that follow the same policy. While I don't condone overfishing, slipping over into condemning other BB's and their moderators, on this BB, isn't warranted.

I see this whole thread as a load of self-righteous indignation.... Unless you're gonna gather evidence (not just passing on photo's), provide it to DFG and seek a legal remedy, it's time to get over the crime and ourselves and move on....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I would tend to agree with Dave's opinion, maybe "legitimacy" is too strong of a word, maybe "validity of thought" would be a better term. Dissent opinion is how we learn and are able to form ideas to progress. As an absurd example, say I say a improved clinch knot is the best knot and you counter with a uni knot is stronger for the following reasons, I have learned something which I may or may not use. I am certainly not in favor of "flame war" such as used to be prevalent on the NCFFB where some thought that a different opinion was license to attack and I usually applaud a moderator for stopping "the over the top" threads but there has to be some leeway to allow discussion of ideas. A respectfully presented different opinion can lead to a meaningful discussion of an issue which may or may not result in a solution. Anyway that's my opinion and I will stick it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Dave,.... Nice to be able to express a negative opinion ad nauseum isn't it. But, I'm wondering why you'd feel that when a moderator of another BB decides not to host this type of discussion you'd brand that BB as somehow "....not worth going to or unworthy or worthy of legitimacy" If you've frequented Blanton's BB, you'd see that his policy (strictly enforced BTW) wouldn't have tolerated much of this thread or the other in another forum. Yet, I find a great deal of useful info on that BB. Try posting your objections to Blanton's BB. Maybe you can convince him that his site is unworthy or not legitimate. There're several others in SoCal (salt water) that follow the same policy. While I don't condone overfishing, slipping over into condemning other BB's and their moderators, on this BB, isn't warranted.

I see this whole thread as a load of self-righteous indignation.... Unless you're gonna gather evidence (not just passing on photo's), provide it to DFG and seek a legal remedy, it's time to get over the crime and ourselves and move on....
    Hey Darian-

See, this is what I like about Keine's board, you can have a thread like this and respectfully (key word) disagree with others, and have contrary ideas, and not have it edited away by moderators. I've never been to Blanton's board, so I can't honestly say whether I like it or not. I spent many years on the Northern California Fly Fishing Board and that place was rife with put-downs and flames and far too often it was more about personal attacks than it was about fly fishing. Not my thing. So I think this board is a nice balance between the two extremes. To only say nice things is boring and not very useful. If you read the rest of the replies on that post on the other site, all they do is say adoring and flattering things to the guy that went and killed a bunch of trophy trout.

My reason for saying what I did is because I saw the hypocrisy of how they edited out any negative comments against the "captain" because his guide service is a financial sponsor of their board. Any conflict of interest there? I believe the original intent of this thread was that lcpl.Allen was trying to find a place to catch some golden trout and then it got hijacked.

Even if what the guy did was legal, it doesn't make it right, many of these ideas have been expressed by others on this now very long hijacked thread, as well as another under another category, hence my use of the term ad nauseum. What's done is done and yes, I agree, it is time to move on.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy (Dave) View Post
    Hey Darian-

If you read the rest of the replies on that post on the other site, all they do is say adoring and flattering things to the guy that went and killed a bunch of trophy trout.

--F.G. Dave
    There have been many fishing BBs created, (some private invitation only), as a result to how some of the original fishing BBs have transcended..... Hence, these new BBs now attract people with like minds and philosophies with regards to fishing practices, even politics. (what a surprise)

For example, why would anyone that likes to 'catch and eat' and perhaps was seriously flamed on a a FF BB C&R board in the past want to stick around the FF BB? Instead, as in real physical life, they migrate to like kind meeting groups. I believe the moderator of the other BB was simply protecting what they want in a BB forum. (Maybe this is where all the "flossers" will end up?)

The angler in question may have his couth criticized and perhaps he'll think something of this or not. Much the same happens everyday in this world, country, and state.

Question Dissent....

OK!!! I'll try this one more time. After pointing out the unwarranted statements about other BB's, my point was that this whole line of comments were basically self aggrandizing (back slapping) by people of like thought (C&R, etc.) and it's taking up a lot of space on this and many other BB's. For example, on this BB this subject appears in two Forums, takes up 7 pages and contains 60 replies, most all attempting to make the same point.... Talk about overkill.... BOOORRING!!!! With all of the problems F&G and this state is facing (i.e. finances, poaching on a great scale, continued demands on water supplies, etc., etc.) a guide catching more than his share of Golden Trout is worthy of this much comment....

Geez!!! Get a life!!! Watch some football, go fishing but get over this and move on. Lots of other legitimate subjects to get upset over....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown